• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any one bought a Milita House gun before?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcarrington

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Brown Bess as my first flintlock. I have been looking around and while the Perdersoli looks okay I was looking for something a little more unique as it were. I would love to build a Track of the Wolf gun, but I don't have the skill, space, or time to do so. I would like to buy an assembled gun thats ready to go.

I was looking at Militia House and it looks like he makes a good looking Bess. I was wondering if anyone has purchased one of his muskets, or has any experience with the business.

If not, anyone have a good lead on who makes a good Brown Bess? Not looking for an India gun or a Perdersoli.

Thanks for the time.

I know Adam Barnes, Mr. Militia House, very well. He is meticulous in his historical research and what he is offering will be very close in pattern to originals from the dimensions of the barrels to the material of the stock. I would not hesitate to order a firearm from Adam. I will have to ask why he used the 1766 lock on the 1756 Long Land Pattern as that date is way late in the 7 Years War.

Last edited:
I know Adam Barnes, Mr. Militia House, very well. He is meticulous in his historical research and what he is offering will be very close in pattern to originals from the dimensions of the barrels to the material of the stock. I would not hesitate to order a firearm from Adam. I will have to ask why he used the 1766 lock on the 1756 Long Land Pattern as that date is way late in the 7 Years War.
He's only making a couple hundred bucks a gun. He must have a real job too.

Just got off the phone with him. He does build guns on his off time from his day job. Very knowledgeable, and well spoken. I think I have found the guy to build my first black powder gun!

Sounds like you found the best deal for you. My Pedersoli Brown Bess was a "kit", which I paid $700.00 for. The cool thing was that it really wasn't a "kit", compared to many other "kits". It was a take-apart-sand-n-stain-reassemble deal, which took little time and skill. Or space. I did have to fine tune the lock, and lower the floor of the pan in order to raise the touch-hole, so to speak. That was in the early 1990's, so I imagine the kits are much more expensive now, and probably not as well finished. ? Anyhow, if Militia House doesn't work out for you, something to consider. My gun is very high quality, I love it, but I am not into period correct, or what lock should be on what pattern, and which pattern is which. !!!

This may have nothing to do with it, and I may have heard wrong, but seems I read somewhere that soldiers were very concerned about having a late-dated lock on their muskets, and would complain greatly if the lock had an old date on it...as they trusted a newer, later dated lock more than an old one. ??? And that locks were replaced often? Don't remember where I read that, if it's true or not, or what. ??

This may have nothing to do with it, and I may have heard wrong, but seems I read somewhere that soldiers were very concerned about having a late-dated lock on their muskets, and would complain greatly if the lock had an old date on it...as they trusted a newer, later dated lock more than an old one. ??? And that locks were replaced often? Don't remember where I read that, if it's true or not, or what. ??
The strange part is that, as I recall, the ordnance board ceased the practice of marking dates on lock plates in 1764.

Back