• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes the best Type G Trade gun kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to assemble a Type G trade gun. Anyone have any suggestions? Most kit sellers offer a trade guns but I want a Type G with a minimal stock not a Fowler with a Brown Bess or English fowler type stock. The finished gun should 6lbs at most. Thanks

Clay Smith makes a really nice one. Some say there are some flaws as to being perfectly historically correct, but most wouldn't be able to tell. I can't remember of Mike Brooks name a Type-G kit or not. There was someone else of Mike's and Clay's stature that made one and I think was thought to be more historically accurate. My memory is failing me in who at the moment.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to remind us and tell me I'm wrong about something here. 🙄

I don’t think Miller Muzzleloaders offers kits, my apology if they do. They do make a great looking type G!

I don have first hand experience with Clay Smith, but I have been told they make a good kit.

Yes Sir, I stand corrected. I read and answered too fast, my mind told me he was looking for advice while building his own. My mistake.....glad I got it out the way early!... Lol

Clay Smith makes a really nice one. Some say there are some flaws as to being perfectly historically correct, but most wouldn't be able to tell. I can't remember of Mike Brooks name a Type-G kit or not. There was someone else of Mike's and Clay's stature that made one and I think was thought to be more historically accurate. My memory is failing me in who at the moment.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to remind us and tell me I'm wrong about something here. 🙄
I had offered kits for a very short time. I quit doing that and only sold finished guns. I made 36 of them over the years. BTW, I'm retired now so don't anyone contact me and try to order one!:horseback:
I think Clay Smith may be the go to guy these days.

I want to assemble a Type G trade gun. Anyone have any suggestions? Most kit sellers offer a trade guns but I want a Type G with a minimal stock not a Fowler with a Brown Bess or English fowler type stock. The finished gun should 6lbs at most. Thanks

Caywood Guns.
Pricey, though.
Excellent quality.

Tha
I don’t think Miller Muzzleloaders offers kits, my apology if they do. They do make a great looking type G!

I don have first hand experience with Clay Smith, but I have been told they make a good kit.
Thanks bud . No , no kits from me . I made a bunch of them but scratch builds . Fun guns to shoot and pack around . Last two I made , one on its way to Missouri now , 38" barrel and the other the NY , 42 " barrel , were 5 1/2 pds. Great balance . 20 ga.

Caywood Guns.
Pricey, though.
Excellent quality.
Lots of architectural issues with these
Ramrods are too big, web between barrel an ramrod groove is too thick and there is too much wood overall on the stock AND they don't make them in walnut. Other than that they are perfect.

Lots of architectural issues with these
Ramrods are too big, web between barrel a ramrod groove is too thick and there is too much wood overall on the stock AND they don't make them in walnut. Other than that they are perfect.
Details! Same is true of some others. Why make a Type G in cherry or maple? What’s its story? If those woods are wanted, why not just build a composite parts gun and not call it a Type G?

Rant over.

Details! Same is true of some others. Why make a Type G in cherry or maple? What’s its story? If those woods are wanted, why not just build a composite parts gun and not call it a Type G?

Rant over.
Walnut seems a little sketchy according to my research too. Seems most of the G's were stocked in beech. But there was one reference to Indians having the choice of white guns and dark guns which sort of leads me to believe both walnut and beech were offered. And then you have the painted guns as well. I'm of the opinion that the painted guns were factory painted in England before export.

Walnut seems a little sketchy according to my research too. Seems most of the G's were stocked in beech. But there was one reference to Indians having the choice of white guns and dark guns which sort of leads me to believe both walnut and beech were offered. And then you have the painted guns as well. I'm of the opinion that the painted guns were factory painted in England before export.

Anyone have any idea what kind of shipping containers the guns were shipped from Europe in?
Getting them from the American east coast into the interior must have been rough on the guns, many of which would have been repacked and covered for transport on horseback and in canoes and other boats.

I was always intrigued by (and would love if someone offered) the early 1700s Utility Muskets: two or three screw, flat lock (sometimes doglock), ash or beech stock, musket bore, with only two ramrod pipes and no entry pipe. There are pictures in Bailey's British Military Small Arms. Closest thing to them would be TRS's early Sea Service musket.

Back