• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Lube Recipies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avery

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all...Does anyone make their own lube or Bore Butter type lubricant?
What do you use for common household items to make your lube ?

5 parts beef tallow to 1 part beeswax by volume. You can add more beeswax in warmer months or less in the winter to keep the consistency where you want it.

A complete listing of patch lube recepies is available in a 40 volume set of books for $5,000.00. :wink:
Really, while your question is valid, it is one of the most common asked. Hang around here a while and you will see many-many posted. I have used many. Currently am using a beeswax/whale oil mix. When the whale is used up I have a backup supply of beeswax/peanut oil made up.
Do searches here for moose milk and moose snot.

I basically use the same bees wax and olive oil mix mentioned earlier, but I make 3 different versions. Two are just the wax and oil in different consistences, one very stiff for post cleaning protection, inside and out, and one looser for in the field use. The third is in between the other two as far as wax to oil ratio but has a cap of Murphy's Oil Soap added. This is mostly for the stock post cleaning, and for patch lube while at the range doing a lot of shooting.

Spectrum brand "organic, all vegetable shortening, non hydrogenated"

It is mechanically pressed palm oil, and I use it "straight up" as a patch lube. It does get pretty stiff in cooler temperatures, but pretty soft at 75*F.

A friend who does reenactments and shoots minie's told me he uses a beeswax/synthetic motor oil blend. When I asked him where he gets beeswax he told me the wax ring used to keep your toilet from leaking is beeswax. I went to a big box store and bought a ring for a few bucks. It looks like its made of beeswax, and I've been using it for minie's for a while, with no ill effects.

Eterry

LOOB = Lanolin + Olive Oil + Beeswax.
I try to use it most everything, percussion revolvers, lead bullet rifles, round ball patches.

Eterry said:
A friend who does reenactments and shoots minie's told me he uses a beeswax/synthetic motor oil blend. When I asked him where he gets beeswax he told me the wax ring used to keep your toilet from leaking is beeswax. I went to a big box store and bought a ring for a few bucks. It looks like its made of beeswax, and I've been using it for minie's for a while, with no ill effects.

Eterry

Nope, been discussed before, they use to be, not anymore...

Hobby Lobby sells bees wax...

Another source for pure bees wax is healthfood stores. They usually have it in 5lb blocks of the light colored, really pure grade.

Latest posts

Back