• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Lemat Shooters Here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here own a Lemat? I have been reading and all I can find is one article stating the lemats
load is 15 grains of powder. Surely they can hold
more than that???
Also they ridicule the mechanism used for the cylinder stop. They say it is very weak?
anyone have any problems with this?
they further critisize the loading lever saying it is very weak and will bend or break at the hinge if you are trying to load anything but pure lead balls.....
I was seriously thinging about getting a Lemat..untill I read all of these so called
Faults.
How can I justify spending the $$$ they command...? Let me hear your views.....

I don't personally own one but there are others on this forum who do, and they are generally quite happy with the gun. I don't recall seeing mentioned the faults you describe.

For a good, unbiased review of the LeMat, get the book, Percussion Pistols And Revolvers: History, Performance and Practical Use by Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates from Amazon.com. They have an entire chapter on the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont own one either...yet...Many of the faults I listed are in the reviews at Dixie Gunworks.
I spent all night reading about this pistol and then re-read dixies reviews...One gent said he could only fit 20 grains in the cylinder. Another gent claims he is able to fit the max. of 25 grains under the ball.....
I sold a Dragoon TO GAIN THE CASH to buy a Lemat. DID I make a mistake? surely this monsterous 9 shot cylinder is cabable of holding more than 25 grains....
I have read all previous posts on this forum and nobody mentions max load for this gun?????
come on guys....I need input !!!!

Cumpston's book says the chambers will hold 30 gr by volume; he used a .451 round ball. I strongly recommend buying the book; it's only about $15 and is a very useful reference on the LeMat and several other guns of that period. The LeMat is not an easy gun to maintain and Cumpston's writeup will save you a significant amount of trouble.

The Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual says the Navy Arms version has a max load of 25 gr by volume.

thanks for the info...I will get a copy of the book. Suprizingly enough...even in this age of computers...the best knowledge is found in BOOKS.
I searched the WEB for 12 hours using 5 search engines and couldnt find a correct max. load for this gun.......go figger...HMMMMM
so......HAS ANYONE bent or broke their loading lever ( the web told me they are very very weak)?

I had one many years ago, I used it to confuse the Cowboy shooters when I shot 10 pistol targets with one gun ( .625 round ball in the shotgun barrel ) It has the normal depth of a cap and ball cylinder I can't remember but it was more than 20 grains!!!
The shotgun barrel is close to useless as it is only a few inches long, impossibe to build up enough pressure for decent load. I suppose this was for real close up and personel fighting, horse to horse about like shooting one of those big bore short barrel rev war horse pistols.
All in all a fun gun!!!
:thumbsup:

Dear SIr,
I owned one several years ago. Maybe it was just mine, but the hammer pull was STIFF. It is a heavy piece-- but not balanced the way a dragoon is.
When you look at the diagram on parts....well, theres a lot of them. I figured colts and remmingtons are easy to fix- generally only 2 things go wrong (hand and cyl. stop spring).
If I had a LOT of money, I would get a Lematt again, as it stands I am poor and they are expensive.
David

David...you have a nice supplly of BP arms...
unless you Sole them all...and Marriage dont make ya that poor !!! :shake:
Buy...yes...I do hear the mainspring is really stout in the newer ones....dont know how mine will be cuz it was made in 2002......its not in my hands...I am still waiting for the big Brown truck....

:bow: LeMat---only made by Pietta---ask yourself why? It is an amazing gun for the wishes that the designer implied. The Confederate used a mess of them ----why??? They couldn't get anything else. It is a design monster---assembly and/or disassembly is a b---h to use only one word to describe it. If you want to pay for an $800 paper weight, knock yourself out---yes there are some people who say they love theres, and it's the greatest thing since "Puffed Wheat," WHY???? I think they are too embarassed that they actually bought a copy of this this monster. I guess you can see that I would love to own one---but don't" Why---because my middle name isn't stupid and I wouldn't buy Pietta if it were the last gun available. I always understate myself, why can't I just come out and tell people how I feel? :surrender:

wow....you sure got alot of HATE for them even though you dont OWN one....
is this a Union vs. Confederate problem?
OH...I see now..
your are from NEW YOURK....."a yankee" :rotf:
bunnydog-1.jpg

Pasquenel said:
:bow: LeMat---only made by Pietta---ask yourself why? It is an amazing gun for the wishes that the designer implied. The Confederate used a mess of them ----why??? They couldn't get anything else. It is a design monster---assembly and/or disassembly is a b---h to use only one word to describe it. If you want to pay for an $800 paper weight, knock yourself out---yes there are some people who say they love theres, and it's the greatest thing since "Puffed Wheat," WHY???? I think they are too embarassed that they actually bought a copy of this this monster. I guess you can see that I would love to own one---but don't" Why---because my middle name isn't stupid and I wouldn't buy Pietta if it were the last gun available. I always understate myself, why can't I just come out and tell people how I feel? :surrender:

Sounds to me like you got a personal ax to grind against Pietta. I know several people who who own the Lemat (my son included). He hasn't had a problem with his- except that the flip down hammer for the shotgun barrel wasn't milled out big enough.

Dear Old Pasquenel....Pietta is not the only firm that made the Lemat..Armisport and another company produced them.....SO You are wrong on that allegation. Also only 2500 are suspected to have made it thru the UNIONS Blockade...So you are wrong gain!!
The statement you made that "they are a $800 paperweight" is merely a subjective Uninformed
"opinion" from a person who does not Own or Shoot one ......so who cares what you think?
I love the design of the Lemat....
I have been waiting many moons to get one.
so if your post was a personal attack I can dismiss it on the grounds of your ingorance of the facts even though your post was provacative...
LEMATBOX.jpg

Thats a Beautiful Southern Belle !!
"9" shots + 1 " Buckshot"
AMAZING!
Lemat2.jpg

LEMAT.jpg

Totally Awesome !!!

Now, now folks - it's only a revolver. Although, as the descendant of a 7th Michigan volunteer, I have to wonder, if the LeMat was such a fine weapon, why did the Secessionists fare so poorly? Hmmm? :hmm: :wink: :v

:bow: Ah, but I do speak from experience and the $800 paper weight is in my gun cabinet.Ignorance is not anywhere close to my suit. I did not know that others had manufactured (emphasis had)the LeMat, I stand duly corrected. Yes I do harbor a deal of animus towards Pietta for their total lack of willingness to service their products. I had agreed to pay for the necessary repairs---but that's all I ever heard from them.I bought the gun because it would have rounded out my collection---but it is supposed to shoot and be mechanically sound for the bucks---correct? You bet yer but, if it happened to you, we would both be on the same side of the fence, right? So I have a justifiable hatred for the Pietta line. I will however not vent these feelings again and let you all enjoy your Pietta experiences. Sour grapes are just that sour. :surrender:

Pas...first you say: I guess you can see that I would love to own one---but don't" Why---because my middle name isn't stupid and I wouldn't buy Pietta if it were the last gun available

THEN you say you have one in your guncabinet.

ALTZHEIMERS? or a senior "MOMENT" ?
maybe you need to take a break.

They are beauties. I use to have a nice collection..... (wimper....sniff). But I sold a BUNCH. Marriage and 2 kids and being back in school (at 40) full time has made me poor! (But, I have the finest wife in the world and am blessed with beautiful kids).
But, back to firearms.
The Lematts are neat, but if I had to depend on a firearm day in, day out, it would be a colt or remington. SO much less to repair and easy (at least until the dictator changes things)to get parts for.
If you have the cash, GO FOR IT (before the prices go up), but I bet in the long run, you will depend on a more common arm.
David

Back