• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KY pistol butt caps ain't easy to install!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, isn't this why we love building/modifying/restoring these things? I'm working through putting a MBS cast brass butt cap on a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol kit, and here's where things stand. The butt of the stock was not shall we say...perfectly symmetrical so one side is a little fatter than the other, I'll keep filing (love those files and the occasional very sharp inletting chisel) to lower the rear of the cap so that it sits mostly on the pistol butt. I'm thinking I might have to bend the sides of the cap inward just a bit. Suggestions from the Builder's Bench Brain Trust are welcome if anyone has worked through this issue. I think I can get there eventually but any hints will help...looking at photos from various books on the "Kentucky pistol" I see that butt cap placement can be rather odd from time to time so I guess I'm in good company!

Attachments

• PXL_20230807_010206466.jpg
    PXL_20230807_010206466.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230807_010232140.jpg
    PXL_20230807_010232140.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230807_010218783.jpg
    PXL_20230807_010218783.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230807_010227012.jpg
    PXL_20230807_010227012.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My thinking is you'll destroy the natural lines on your butt cap if you start bending things inward. It will look intentionally squeezed. Bad Ju-Ju.

To my eye, that cap diameter is the same as the grip diameter.

Dropping that cap down and down and down some more will get it where it needs to be.

Though it may shorten your grip a tad.

Good luck with her.

PS: Can you shave material off of those side radiuses? That will decrease the cap internal diameter. Allowing the cap to seat against the grip a bit faster.

And are we allowed to recommend putting the Dremel tool away?

Last edited:
Thanks! Haven't yet needed the Dremel! I'm hoping I don't have to cut the stock down too much but we'll see (there is a little room for that, actually). Like I said, I think I can get there eventually. Thanks again.

Well, isn't this why we love building/modifying/restoring these things? I'm working through putting a MBS cast brass butt cap on a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol kit, and here's where things stand. The butt of the stock was not shall we say...perfectly symmetrical so one side is a little fatter than the other, I'll keep filing (love those files and the occasional very sharp inletting chisel) to lower the rear of the cap so that it sits mostly on the pistol butt. I'm thinking I might have to bend the sides of the cap inward just a bit. Suggestions from the Builder's Bench Brain Trust are welcome if anyone has worked through this issue. I think I can get there eventually but any hints will help...looking at photos from various books on the "Kentucky pistol" I see that butt cap placement can be rather odd from time to time so I guess I'm in good company!
I recall an article in Muzzle Blasts, I think, that showed tips on this difficult process. Ain't easy lookin' or doin'!!

Latest posts

Back