• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any C&B clubs out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavrickbobsr

32 Cal
Reaction score
Are there any cap and ball shooting clubs out there? Not cowboy action shooting stuff but c&b only clubs

I want to start a club where we do hard to do shots such as a clay peigon target at 75 yards. Set up 6 in a row and shoot left to right.
Maybe try to cut a card at 25 feet.

Shoot a coin at 25 feet and stuff like that.

Who wants to make same rules and we all practice for a few weeks. Then take pictures of every set and see how we do. If we get good enough to compete we can set up a regular match somewhere and start a club or something.

Black powder only, cap and ball only and only in traditional calibers. Maybe everything with one hand only.

Maybe first stage could be 6 shots at 75 yards with your revolver then move over to the table next to you with your muxzloading rifle and try and get your one shot to be closest to the bottom of a v with out touching.

Then we all set up for next set which could be shooting a coin at 25 feet and go until you miss and we ever gets the most wins. Stuff like that.

Dress how you want but try to be in the spirit of the times.

What do you think?

I don't know of any clubs like that but it sounds like you have some great ideas on how to pass a Saturday afternoon. If you had 2 or more people at one location you could do a postal or internet match.

Are there any cap and ball shooting clubs out there? Not cowboy action shooting stuff but c&b only clubs

I want to start a club where we do hard to do shots such as a clay peigon target at 75 yards. Set up 6 in a row and shoot left to right.
Maybe try to cut a card at 25 feet.

Shoot a coin at 25 feet and stuff like that.

Who wants to make same rules and we all practice for a few weeks. Then take pictures of every set and see how we do. If we get good enough to compete we can set up a regular match somewhere and start a club or something.

Black powder only, cap and ball only and only in traditional calibers. Maybe everything with one hand only.

Maybe first stage could be 6 shots at 75 yards with your revolver then move over to the table next to you with your muxzloading rifle and try and get your one shot to be closest to the bottom of a v with out touching.

Then we all set up for next set which could be shooting a coin at 25 feet and go until you miss and we ever gets the most wins. Stuff like that.

Dress how you want but try to be in the spirit of the times.

What do you think?
When you say, "cap and ball" your leaving out all of the flintlock shooters. Is that what you intended to do or was it just an oversight?

Most of the muzzleloading blackpowder shoots I know about include flintlocks.

When you say, "cap and ball" your leaving out all of the flintlock shooters. Is that what you intended to do or was it just an oversight?

Most of the muzzleloading blackpowder shoots I know about include flintlocks.

Ithought about that and muzzleloader pistols are more then welcome and encouraged. I would like to see a one shot 75 yards match and they could most definitely compete in. Maybe even a duling pistles match. Two guys line up side by side and each lowers and shoot an apple on a stick 20 paces away.

Google NMLRA. They should have a listing of black powder clubs in your area.

From there you may be able too contact some C&B clubs.

The only one I know of was in S. Fl.

You could always just start your own, I have my own range it’s good practice for when you do enter a shooting match..
Or so they tell me..... lol

One of the range officers at a local club used to run two cap & ball matches each year. One was a "36" match and the other a "44". Basically a target match but they were fun. We were saddened when Bill passed away a few years ago. He was a real "old School" gentleman.

What I have found to be the most fun is having a lot of targets that when you get off the range, you feel as if you could have hit the targets. I don't like targets that I'm not likely to hit such as the 75 yard plate or cutting cards from the side. A hard target could be set up to be the tie breaker.

I think you've got a splendid Idea! Many of us prefer C&B shooting to include rifle and shotgun, single shot pistols, Etc. The publications for years have focused on flintlocks, and many of us prefer cap fired guns. You could set up informal 'civilian' revolver and pistol matches ( maybe with the Hickok-Tutt shot at a playing card at 75 yards for a tie breaker, 'military' revolver and pistol matches (perhaps with a 3 shot save your life speed type tie breaker on large close targets, short and longer range (100 yards max) civilian and military rifle and rifled musket matches, Smoothbore shotgun/trade gun matches and 'any old gun' matches in each category for a fun competition. I'm in NW Arkansas, and we really need some doins. Perhaps we can come up with something for us poor, downtrodden traditional percussion (Per-Cussin') shooters. One word of caution, keep it light and fun. No flintlocks, there's plenty of places to shoot them, and this needs to be cap-fire, short range and great fun! PM me for my address, and I'll try to help. I believe this might really catch on, many younger first time BP gun owners seem to really go for C&B revolvers, and I hope the best for your idea! George.

My gun club includes a pistol shoot. Entry pays for targets and the target is the 25 yard pistol target. The prize is bragging rights and any old pistol can be shot. Its a good excuse to fire our pistols.

Back