• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy results in Pietta 1858 Remington using Kerr Bullets vs. Roundballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Got a break from 100° days here in NW Missouri, so I decided to do an accuracy tests comparing round ball (.454) against the Era's Gone Kerr Bullet (225 grain). I used Pyro P for all loads, 30 gr. for round ball @1000 fps, 24 gr. for the Kerr @840 fps. Caps were CCI #11, which I got a bunch of recently at 4 different Walmarts for $5.62 a tin. The test gun was straight stock Pietta 1858, with an 8" barrel. I believe the twist is 1 in 30", so I figured it would do better with the round ball. Well, that wasn't the result, the target shown is exactly 50 yards from my deck railing, which I used to steady my aim. Round balls have never shot well in this gun, I believe the chambers are undersized. The Kerr with its longer bearing surface got better accuracy. I only shot 1 cylinder using a clean barrel, with the roundballs, as I wasn't happy with the accuracy. They are the bottom 6 holes in the target, circled with a pen. Using the Kerr Bullet, I shot 2 cylinders without cleaning, and got what I consider good results at 50 yards. As a bonus the Kerr shot right to the point of aim, perhaps a tad right. The Kerr will be my standard load from now on. As usual with the Remington design, I had zero issues with cap jams or failure to fire.

Attachments

• 20230731_152212.jpg
    20230731_152212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230731_152120.jpg
    20230731_152120.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Got a break from 100° days here in NW Missouri, so I decided to do an accuracy tests comparing round ball (.454) against the Era's Gone Kerr Bullet (225 grain). I used Pyro P for all loads, 30 gr. for round ball @1000 fps, 24 gr. for the Kerr @840 fps. Caps were CCI #11, which I got a bunch of recently at 4 different Walmarts for $5.62 a tin. The test gun was straight stock Pietta 1858, with an 8" barrel. I believe the twist is 1 in 30", so I figured it would do better with the round ball. Well, that wasn't the result, the target shown is exactly 50 yards from my deck railing, which I used to steady my aim. Round balls have never shot well in this gun, I believe the chambers are undersized. The Kerr with its longer bearing surface got better accuracy. I only shot 1 cylinder using a clean barrel, with the roundballs, as I wasn't happy with the accuracy. They are the bottom 6 holes in the target, circled with a pen. Using the Kerr Bullet, I shot 2 cylinders without cleaning, and got what I consider good results at 50 yards. As a bonus the Kerr shot right to the point of aim, perhaps a tad right. The Kerr will be my standard load from now on. As usual with the Remington design, I had zero issues with cap jams or failure to fire.
Nice.

Thanks for the post, and for braving the heat.
I have the same revolver, it's always been a good shooter, even though the chambers were undersized. I use 30 he's of Goex 3f and either a .451 ball, a .454 ball, or a 185gr flat point conical. They all seem to shoot better than they have a right to. Go figure it's beyond me.
Thanks again, always enjoy your posts.

Back