• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Antique" Fried Cornbread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Friends,

As 2 members have now asked about the fried cornbread that I mentioned in another post, I'm going to save us all some time and post my G-G-G grandmother's recipes.
(From my G-G-grandmother's "journal" of the "escape" to Northeast Texas from Lake Corinth, MS in late May 1865, when Mother's family was fleeing the revenge of the Yankee Army. - Rebel Partisan Rangers were NOT "too popular with" the DYs and the DY had planned a "necktie party" for several of the men in the family. Fyi, the journey from MS to TX took about 5 months, according to her journal.)

The first recipe can use either sweet or buttermilk.
(IF you are using buttermilk, add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the mix.)

To a cup of cornmeal add a 1/2 cup of flour, a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of baking powder. IF you are using buttermilk, add in the baking soda.
Heat the grease (I use lard and bacon fat mixed and about a 1/2 inch deep) in a pot until it is just short of boiling.

Mix the milk and one beaten egg into the dry ingredients and spoon the mixture into the hot grease, frying until well-browned on both sides.
ENJOY.
(Most adults in my experience will eat about three 4inch "corn dodgers".)

The other recipe is REALLY simple and my G-G-grandmother said that when "vittles were scarce" that her "Mother made a great deal of Hot Water Cornbread to fill empty bellies".
(My G-G-grandmother was a 17YO bride at the time of "the escape to Texas" and she was later a farm wife and "schoolmistress". - Her husband was a swine farmer both in MS & in Red River County, TX.)

To a cup of cornmeal, add a teaspoon of salt and enough boiling water to form soft patties. Allow the meal/salt/water mixture to cool enough to handle the patties.
Drop cornmeal patties into hot grease and brown on both sides. Serve with whatever you can gather or kill.
(These days, our family only serves the hot water recipe when we are having fried fish or "wilted green salad". - Dip the patties in hot pepper sauce and enjoy.)

yours, satx

I don't know the precise amount of milk (or boiling water for Hot Water Cornbread) as I've never measured it.
(None of "the old folks" in my family measured anything because, like me, they learned by WATCHING/helping their family cooks.)
I simply keep adding milk/water until the batter LOOKS RIGHT & is like "thick cake batter". - You don't want it too runny, or it won't "stay together" in the grease.

NOTE: I won't even try to give you my Aunt Walterine's biscuit recipe, as she had NONE. = She measured NOTHING, not even the flour and I learned to make her rolled, "pinched off" and cats-head biscuits by DOING. = My aunt made eggs, bacon, sausage patties, biscuits & cream gravy EVERY morning for the 54+ years of her marriage. - That's about TWENTY THOUSAND breakfasts!
(She's been gone now for near 20 years & I still wish that I had her "recipe" for FRIED FRUIT PIES, CHICKEN COBBLER, PECAN PRALINES and ENCHILADA PIE. = Those, she wouldn't SHARE her "secrets" & "shooed us out of the kitchen" when she fixed them.)

The ONLY person who KNEW my aunt's "recipe" for ENCHILADA PIE was my much beloved wife,Vickie Kaye, (She "sat on a tall stool and watched" one winter afternoon & "was sworn to secrecy".), who passed away in 1983.
(She wouldn't "blab" either!!!)

yours, satx

try some of these recipes https://www.facebook.com/Silverscorpio1953

They aren't Aunt Walterine's recipes but they sure are good and worthy of your trial. I ran across them one day and have had them on my computer where I can access them whenever I need a good recipe. I have yet to try one that wasn't absolutely delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU!!!!

I know MOST of the ingredients of ENCHILADA PIE but SOMETHING is MIA. - I don't have a CLUE as to what the secret was.

In case you haven't figured out, I'm a fan of OLD Southron cooking.

yours, satx

BTW,

the HOT PEPPER SAUCE (that I mentioned above) is the SIMPLEST thing that you can imagine to prepare.

To a big glass bottle, add fresh GREEN CAYENNE PEPPERS up to the neck & fill the bottle the rest of the way with CIDER VINEGAR. Let stand for 90 days.
(Longer is BETTER & it will NEVER spoil.- ADD more vinegar as you use it up.)

We Northeast Texicans pour it on peas, beans, turnips & "mixed & wilted green salad" AND dip hushpuppies in it too.

The OTHER "LIQUID FIRE" out of the Texas BAYOU COUNTRY is nothing but FINE GROUND HOT RED CHILI PEPPER, mixed half & half with white vinegar, a little SALT & left to age for several weeks.
(We POUR the RED STUFF over BBQ & put it in Chili, Squirrel Stew and onto Pinto Beans with Ham Hocks. = CAREFUL that stuff will take paint off & may melt an iron spoon.)

yours, satx

Your grannies recipe sounds a lot like my johnycakes,But I dont ever make two batchs the same,and have to vary a lot depending on what I got at home or in the haversack.
I do think many foods were created by god as a place to put hot sauce on.(hot sauce like beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy..And grits but dont tell that to Alden:) )

Poor Alden, think he got bit as a youngster by the Grits Gremlin! :rotf:

No Sir, quite the opposite. As I've said, the love of my caring parents, both of whom raised me, protected me from evil. They never forced grits upon me, never took me frog gigging*, and didn't discuss monster trucks at the dinner table while wrestling was on TV.

Now, I'm not saying they took me to the dentist often either, but, that's a little different and at least they DID for a while...

*Interestingly, when I was a little kid I was the only one at an historic site tour who knew it was a commercial fishing/frog gigging spear hanging on the wall that even the docents couldn't explain -- they just knew it had been there in the General Store and was old.

Gee Alden I'm sorry about your deprived child hood.It is a wonder you didn't end up in jail or worse in congress.I guess your good points prove nature out works nurture :)

ImVho, your childhood was severely deprived to not know about and have participated in hunting, fishing, drag racing, trapping, trotlining, frog gigging and other common manly pursuits as a youngster.

No wonder that you don't crave grits, menudo, cathead biscuits, BBQ cow's head and other similar foods. = "a hothouse raised plant" sounds like your parents plan. - It's just a pure wonder that you turned out as well as you have.
(CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

How did you expand what I said into all those other things I "never did"? LOL

Now look, there's no doubt in my mind that you were reared by your father. But I happen not to have been raised in a barn where grits would naturally and understandably be found. That's all I'm sayin'.

Frog gigging really pass for "a manly pursuit" in your neck o'the woods did it!?

Actually, I was raised by FOUR women (Mother, 2 of her sisters and an A-A governess), my GF (the family patriarch = Most everyone called him: Senator.) & my mother's elder brother, all of whom spoiled me shamelessly, as the eldest son/grandson.
(After I was 12YO, I lost my grandfather, who I IDOLIZED, and my father at first "frequently absent, due to working 60-80 hours a week, then he became a semi-invalid when I was 14 and passed away at the beginning of my college years.)

After my GF died, his close friends "took me under their collective wings" until I was "packed off to boarding school" in 1962.

NOTE: I believe you are smart enough to know that we are all, "just jerking your chain".

yours, satx

Well,he was raised up among the DYs, so you have to cut him a little slack.
(I wonder if he is a devotee of the obamanation?)

Why he even seems to believe that Southron freedom from oppression wasn't worth fighting for.
PITY.

yours, satx

Yep, I'd feel right at home if I were invited to put my feet under your table and I am sure that if you were to put your feet under my table, you, too, would feel right at home. My wife's
Cajun uncle used to make the first simple hot sauce that you mentioned and kept us supplied. It was delicious on greens, black eye peas, etc. just as you mentioned. When the vinegar sauce is used up, all you have to do is to add some more and let it sit for a while for the flavor to infuse the new vinegar. I have a couple bottles sitting in my refrigerator, as we speak, waiting for my next pot of greens, peas or whatever I fix that needs a touch of the sauce. Delicious!

You guys forgot the pig's knuckles and salt herrings...
:shake:

Naw, I didn't forget them, I left them to you. Yummy! Yummy! Open wide and get a surprise. :haha:

Keep 'em for yourselves or the compost heap -- I've got all my original teeth. See!?
:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back