• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aqua Fortis at home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BozoMiller

40 Cal
Reaction score
I found this recipe on the net. Anyone ever tried to make their own/

Heres the Acid Maple Recipe. I have used it on Curly Birch too. Works well.
3 parts water (About Pint Size Parts)
1 part muratic acid
ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER just remember 3A's DO ALL THIS OUTSIDE AND DON'T INHALE THE FUMES!!!!!!! WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!
I then pull a pad of 0000 steel wool apart and add to the mixture. Let mixture dissolve the steel wool usually takes about 2 days. It is then ready for use.

The finer and slicker you get the wood the better the stripes will pop out. I apply sparingly. It will turn the wood a yellowish color. you will think you have ruin it. Apply heat with a heat gun or torch till blackened. Don't burn it just turn it black. Again you will think you ruined it and by this time you be hating me. Rinse with baking soda and water mix almost a paste but still a liquid as you wash it will turn brown. Steel wool again after drying and add you favorite finish.
Every piece of maple will be different try a small scrap piece before doing the actual piece. if it doesn't suit you you can always add a little leather dye to get more reds or browns

Hi,
That is not Aqua fortis, it is ferric chloride a useful etchant for metal. Aqua fortis (loud water) originally meant nitric acid alone. Later it came to mean iron dissolved in nitric acid (ferric nitrate). I don't think I'd want to use ferric chloride as a stain. I think the result would be a yellow-brown or just really dark.

dave

Hi,
That is not Aqua fortis, it is ferric chloride a useful etchant for metal. Aqua fortis (loud water) originally meant nitric acid alone. Later it came to mean iron dissolved in nitric acid (ferric nitrate). I don't think I'd want to use ferric chloride as a stain. I think the result would be a yellow-brown or just really dark.

dave
Thanks a bunch, happy someone knew what was going on with it.

Back