• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another TC Hawken to sight in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mak2go

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a TC Hawken .50-cal percussion to keep my .50-cal Omega company last week while down in Tucson. It was a consignment gun, and came with a range rod, a powder horn, a leather ball bag, a ball mold and handle, and a bunch of balls, patches and #11 caps. I did get it out for a couple hours the day after I bought it, just plinking with my brother down in the hills near Nogales. Great fun!

But I bought it to have a rifle better-suited to PRB's, while still giving me the option of throwing conicals, and today I had a few hours to take it out to the Winona borrow pit east of Flagstaff. Time to find some suitable loads to get me on the jackrabbits out to 50 yards. That'll do for a start, anyway. I have applications in for muzzleloader deer and antelope this fall.

I took a bench and sandbags, as well as a target stand, and set up at the 50-yard line. Not an ideal day for load work-up-- the Blue Flint Boys were out kicking up wind and dust in front of a series of small thunder cells. Sorta like the pregame show for the real monsoon action set to start in the next couple weeks. The partial overcast, the breezes and an occasional sprinkle did keep the temperature down, though.

I started out with PRB's (.490) and .015 patches over 80 gr. Pyrodex RS. Nothing to write home about-- probably a four-inch spread, if I factored out the gusting wind. I found a blown patch, so I decided to try some .018 patches I brought along. Somewhat better, but still not settling down in a predictable fashion. Couldn't catch up with any of the used patches in the wind. Next, I backed off the powder charge to 75 grains, which also helped. But the gun was starting to get dirty and I was getting flyers high and low, so I stopped and swabbed the bore.

I still want to try a 70-grain load with PRB's, and I want to try Wonder Wads on top of the charge. And somewhere down the line, I'm going to have to get hold of some No Excuses conicals. But for today, I finished up with some TC Maxi-Hunters in 355 grains over 75 grains, and then again over 70 grains of Pyrodex RS. With a clean (but fouled) rifle and less wind, I think I can shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards with the Maxi-Hunters. Let's face it, my vision isn't what it once was-- shooting from the bench at 50 yards with open sights is a challenge. I have some 370-grain Maxi-Balls I want to try, too, on my next trip out.

The gun's all cleaned up and put away now, and it's past my bedtime. I'll let you know how the next trip out goes soon.

Congratulations on the rifle. My .50 caliber T/C Hawkins like 85 grains of Goex 3f and a moosemilk patched roundball. The accuracy is exceptional. It will also shoot ball-et in the 245 grain class real well. I tried some NO EXCUSES CONICALS in my Hawkins but was not impressed with the accuracy.

Another option are the REAL conicals. Good luck with the rifle and keep posting the results... They sure are a nice rifle.

:redthumb:

I realize you weren't shooting in ideal conditions. Is your Hawken a slow or medium twist? My medium twist rifles prefer about 50 grain loads of Pyrodex for RB accuracy at 50 yards. I've found that .45 TC Maxiballs in a sabot also work well in 1 - 48" twist guns for hunting over 75 grains or so.

Thanks,Cayugad. I do like the heft and authenticity of the Hawken. And I appreciate your feedback on the care and feeding of the gun. I've seen the recipes for Moosemilk on the forum, and I intend to mix up some to cut my costs-- TC's cleaning fluid isn't cheap if one is shooting frequently. Those empty squirt-top bottles might come in handy, though....

An issue for me right now is figuring out the cleaning routine with the rifle-- I tried stretching out the number of rounds fired to 12 and 15 between wet-dry swabs, and found that its accuracy deteriorated somewhere around 8 shots fired with PRB's. I've followed several threads here on the forum regarding cleaning routines-- they've been very helpful. Just have to find what this ol' gun likes.

The TC Maxi-Hunter 355-grain rounds posed the same problem. I had a flier with the first shot after swabbing the barrel (a couple inches low) before firing for a group, and the next four were as pretty a cloverleaf as I've seen, albeit about four inches lower on the target than the PRB's were hitting. Then everything went to heck and gone. Guess that tells me something, if only that it's time to go get some more Maxi-Hunters and see if I can repeat the feat. I have a box of the 370-grain TC Maxi-Balls to try on my next trip out, too.

And then there are the 245-grain ball-ets you mentioned. Any suggestions on where to get them? I don't recognize the nomenclature.

Anyway, I'm new to the front stuffers, and every trip to the range raises about as many questions as it answers. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Thanks for sharing your experience and insights.

Thanks, arcticap. I'll try some lighter charges behind the PRB's to see if that helps on my next range trip. I'm shooting a 1-in-48" twist.

Unless you were seeing a lot of vertical stringing, I'm betting the wind had a lot to do with the group size.

With a moderate powder load for a velocity of 1500 FPS a 10 MPH wind will drift the ball 3.3 inches. A 15 MPH wind will drift it 5 inches and a 20 MPH wind will drift it 6.6 inches.

That coupled with the wide front sight found on most of the factory guns (which makes precision shooting difficult for me) makes your group size look pretty good!

Different strokes, so to speak, but I am a "shoot to the point of aim" type person and I found that filing the front sights little round blob off leaving just a 1/32 wide blade helped me shrink my group size quite a bit. :)

I have some 370-grain Maxi-Balls I want to try, too, on my next trip out.

My early T.C. Hawken shoots cloverleafs at 50 yds with the 370 grain Maxi-Balls and 90 grains 2f Goex :thumbsup:

I did have 3-4 inches of horizontal stringing. But also 4-5 inches of vertical, as well. Gotta work out the cleaning routine. I will give some thought to taking off the bead on the front sight, but I've actually always liked a small front bead. Shot a lot of cottontails in my youth with a Savage .22LR onto which my dad had transplanted the sights from a pre-64 Model 70. Emphasis on "small" front bead. Did seem to help with rapid target acquisition.

I would like to get the rifle "fined-down" to where jacks and cottontails were doable out to 50 yards. Maybe not head shots at that range, but to the front of the body saves the saddle and hindquarters. Thanks for your appraisal, Zonie.

Cabela's used to carry the .50 Buffalo Ballets. I had mixed results using them over a Wonder Wad, depending on the rifle. I gave some to a Lyman GPR slow twist shooter who really like them. But they can be a bit loose once loaded past the muzzle, unlike sabots, which are tight loading and require barrel lubrication. The 1st shot accuracy is what's the most important out of a cold barrel when hunting, and I found that the sabot load can deliver that, even if it means selecting another type of projectile to load more easily for the quick follow up shot.

And then there are the 245-grain ball-ets you mentioned. Any suggestions on where to get them? I don't recognize the nomenclature.

J&M Shooters Supply is where I get my Buffalo Bullet Supplys. They also run some excellent sales from time to time.

Today I was shooting my Hawkins and was having a heck of a time. For some reason the Goex was fowling terrible. I tried both 2f and 3f. I was only getting about five shots before I had to swab.

I then changed over to bore butter as a lube to see if that made a difference and it was actually worse at fowling then the moosemilk. In fact I had to near hammer one load down the barrel. Needless to say I was swabbing with the alcohol real regular.

Also my Hawkins normally shoots excellent groups right where they should be and today it was shooting an inch high and an inch to the right for some reason. I suspect the high temps and humidity.

Rebel-- checked out the site and spent way too much acquiring an assortment of ball-ets and conicals. Also got one of the leather, hand-laced possibility bags (style B)to keep the outfit period-appropriate. I'll report when I can say what works best.

Back