• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rapine Trash Can availability?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where can I buy Rapine Trash Can bullets? @Dave591has had success with them, so I'm hoping they will improve the performance of my Enfield P61. Right now 575 minie balls with 60 grains of fffg are hitting all over the place at 25 and 50 yards. I hope to work my out to 100 yards with the right ball and powder charge. From what I understand a patched ball may deliver the best result, but I want to shoot historically accurate ammo, at least to the extent that I can get it and it performs well.

Before you go buying different bullets, have you checked your bore diameter to make sure the ones you have are the right size? Minies should be .001" to .002" undersized from the bore. Accuracy can be really bad if they aren't a good fit for your specific bore.

Ditto- check your bore size FIRST and that means measure it.

Moose makes the only version of the Trash Can currently in production. But it won't shoot unless you have that bore size correct.

Armi San Paolo made my Enfield P61, and it's dated 1964. For its age it's great shape. My cheap hardware store calipers measure the bore to be between .58 and .57. I ordered a better set of calipers that measure to 1/1000th but they haven't arrived yet. Is it safe to assume the twist is 1/48?

Bobby Hoyt can line your barrel to anything you want and it would be quite reasonable. I don't know of anyone making complete barrels for these and one would be incredibly expensive. What condition is your barrel in and why would you think you might need a replacement?

Bobby Hoyt can line your barrel to anything you want and it would be quite reasonable. I don't know of anyone making complete barrels for these and one would be incredibly expensive. What condition is your barrel in and why would you think you might need a replacement?
Thanks for the reply. The main reason is I would like use the kind of ammo that they used in 1861, rather than a patched round ball. The second reason is accuracy.
Using my range rod to measure the twist I came up with 1/31, which doesn't seem right. The grooves are pretty shallow. It has five grooves.

Armi San Paolo made my Enfield P61, and it's dated 1964. For its age it's great shape. My cheap hardware store calipers measure the bore to be between .58 and .57. I ordered a better set of calipers that measure to 1/1000th but they haven't arrived yet. Is it safe to assume the twist is 1/48?
Calipers- no. You'll only get into the ball park. You need these, or go to a local machine shop and have them do it for you.

https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-4103-05...lacement+pin+gauge+.575,industrial,101&sr=1-1
If you're going it on your own, you need sizes .575, .577, .579 .581

60 grains of FFFg is a hefty charge for targets. I've always used 42-47 grains behind a 58 caliber Minie or Wilkenson Bullet. I have an Italian Parker-Hale P61 that shoots very tight groups with a Moose .577 Wilkenson Bullet with 47 grains of Goex 2Fg. as cast from the mold unsized in 99% pure lead. By all means, follow dave951's advice and get the pin gauges. Determine your bore size and then select a Minie that is .001" under that size. I have also had luck in both the P61 and the P58 two-band Enfield with the Lyman 575213PH mold.

@Cubreac: I have a Rapine 577-470 trashcan mold that I acquired in a trade of sorts. I’ve never used it because I also prefer to shoot historically correct Minié or Burton balls. (Are trashcan style bullets historically correct? I never thought so but I truly don’t know for sure.) if you are interested in trying out this Rapine trashcan I could probably cast some for you. Now I’m curious to try them myself. However, I think you can get persistent, accurate results with a more traditional Minié ball, at least for casual plinking. As others have suggested, if you want to be a competitive shooter go talk to folks at the N-SSA. Maybe a trashcan will be the way to go after all.

Lee lists this one. Not sure about availability or shooting qualities.

https://leeprecision.com/mold-578-478-m
That is NOT THE TRASHCAN and I've tried that minie and it did not perform well.

In this pix, the third set from the left is what the Rapine looks like. Note the square edge on the top. The Lee version is more rounded. Second from the right is the RCBS Hogdon. On the right, the Moose International, very close to the 575213 and the original Burton.
SAM_0427.JPG

Lee no longer makes the trashcan in 58cal. You'll have to find one on fleebay. It does shoot well since it's almost a direct copy of the Rapine. The only current offering from Lee is in 50cal.

Back