• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another One Saved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feltwad, looks like good work on a real nice old English gun.

Have you dated it Yet?

Also the "vent" you mentioned, you say it is on the left side and opposite the drum? Is this an on purpose hole? Seems like I have heard of this but can not remember what I read about it.

Thank you for sharing this grand ol gun.
I would date this gun 1820-30 when converted to percussion mainly because of the design of the hammer nose to take a special type of cap for a early design of nipple , another is the barrel which is minus any proof marks , the hooked breech plug is similar to Nocks patent breech but in opposite to the drum and nipple with a anti chamber.
Feltwad

Great job on the fowling piece. The SxS Westley Richards I have has what I first thought were clean outs on each drum but on a closer look they are inserts with a vent hole as well. What grit is your flex hone if I might ask?

Thanks fellows for the interest and kind words most will know from this side of the pond that I have done restoration for many decades in all types of ignition , Has I said I am expecting another four within a month and I will photo before and after if I remember but then I am 83 years of age .
Thanks
Feltwad
83! Now we have an idea of how long it takes to get really good at this stuff!

Enclosed is images of a sleeper or barn find that I acquired a fortnight ago and have restored. The gun which is single barrel had a thick coating of rust with moving parts seized and must have come from a out side building or damp attic, the stock which is a hardwood such has ash or sycamore was really dirty has likely at some time had been hung over a sooty chimney .First was to check and see if was loaded it was OK so I removed the lock and furniture next was to remove the heavy rust from the lock with this removed I un covered the makers name ROWNTREE this was the gunmaker who built the first percussion cap sxs shotgun. This gun was original a flintlock and converted to percussion using the drum and nipple principle it was also fitted with a engraved unusual style of hammer which was made to ignite a special type of percussion cap . the barrel plug at the opposite side to the drum and nipple is fitted a vent hole , which was made more so on later percussion guns for quick ignition. The barrel which is standard twist and 36 inches long in 12 bore do not have any proof mark but is in sound condition ,after lapping out the bore it returned a shinny clean bore , this gun would make a shooter , but for me it was saved for the future which could have easily ended up in the furnace
Feltwad

View attachment 83558View attachment 83559View attachment 83560
OK now this is as good as it gets. What a lucky dog to find this one. Enjoy and what an incredible job of workmanship getting it back in sahpe.

The Guns the lucky one . I think the wood is Ash that has a grain much like Hickory but its unlikley to be Hickory either way its nice & you've done yet another great restoration .New plug at time of conversion would take away the proofs . All Good.
Regards Rudyard

Back