• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another One Saved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed is images of a sleeper or barn find that I acquired a fortnight ago and have restored. The gun which is single barrel had a thick coating of rust with moving parts seized and must have come from a out side building or damp attic, the stock which is a hardwood such has ash or sycamore was really dirty has likely at some time had been hung over a sooty chimney .First was to check and see if was loaded it was OK so I removed the lock and furniture next was to remove the heavy rust from the lock with this removed I un covered the makers name ROWNTREE this was the gunmaker who built the first percussion cap sxs shotgun. This gun was original a flintlock and converted to percussion using the drum and nipple principle it was also fitted with a engraved unusual style of hammer which was made to ignite a special type of percussion cap . the barrel plug at the opposite side to the drum and nipple is fitted a vent hole , which was made more so on later percussion guns for quick ignition. The barrel which is standard twist and 36 inches long in 12 bore do not have any proof mark but is in sound condition ,after lapping out the bore it returned a shinny clean bore , this gun would make a shooter , but for me it was saved for the future which could have easily ended up in the furnace
Feltwad

100_4119.JPG
100_4118.JPG
100_4120.JPG

Enclosed is images of a sleeper or barn find that I acquired a fortnight ago and have restored. The gun which is single barrel had a thick coating of rust with moving parts seized and must have come from a out side building or damp attic, the stock which is a hardwood such has ash or sycamore was really dirty has likely at some time had been hung over a sooty chimney .First was to check and see if was loaded it was OK so I removed the lock and furniture next was to remove the heavy rust from the lock with this removed I un covered the makers name ROWNTREE this was the gunmaker who built the first percussion cap sxs shotgun. This gun was original a flintlock and converted to percussion using the drum and nipple principle it was also fitted with a engraved unusual style of hammer which was made to ignite a special type of percussion cap . the barrel plug at the opposite side to the drum and nipple is fitted a vent hole , which was made more so on later percussion guns for quick ignition. The barrel which is standard twist and 36 inches long in 12 bore do not have any proof mark but is in sound condition ,after lapping out the bore it returned a shinny clean bore , this gun would make a shooter , but for me it was saved for the future which could have easily ended up in the furnace
Feltwad

View attachment 83558View attachment 83559View attachment 83560
I like it very much! Any photos from the restoration process?

Feltwad

View attachment 83558View attachment 83559View attachment 83560
That is a beautiful piece. You did a great job.
If you took any, could you possibly post some pictures of it as found. It would be good for folks to see an example of a gun in bad shape, yet that can still be saved. Maybe it will keep a similar piece from being given up on.

Great figure on that wood. What coating did you use after cleaning it up?
For the stock I use a oil finish this is my own mix of teak oil and arrow root two drops for the whole stock rubbed in left to stand for a couple of days then burlap off and apply the same , a good oil finish takes time in some cases up to a year
Has for showing the gun before restoration I never thought but I have another four coming in for restoration in about a months time , if any are in a poor condition I will take some images but if they are reasonable it will just be cosmetic work
Feltwad

Looks like chestnut wood maybe, I don't think it's ash, and sycamore has no grain really, makes a decent rolling pin in place of apple. The lock looks like it has not been converted from flint, but rather a drum used on a patent breech type lock.

For the stock I use a oil finish this is my own mix of teak oil and arrow root two drops for the whole stock rubbed in left to stand for a couple of days then burlap off and apply the same , a good oil finish takes time in some cases up to a year
Has for showing the gun before restoration I never thought but I have another four coming in for restoration in about a months time , if any are in a poor condition I will take some images but if they are reasonable it will just be cosmetic work
Feltwad
It is teak oil and alkanet root my mistake
Felwad

Very Impressive!

How did you clean up the lock and hammer? The engraving looks so clear it's as if you chased it!
Has both the hammer and the lock plate were heavy coated with rust ,I first removed this with a fine wet and dry paper then using a solvent such has WD40 something I rarely use I coated it well and left to stand then using a hand wire brush I cleaned out the engraving dried and coated with oil .
Feltwad

Back