• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after my last attempt at knife making went a little overboard, I thought I would make one a lot simpler...saw a blade blank out of O-1 steel, put on a simple brass cross guard, a wood handle, and rivet on an end cap.  Just a simple project to do between the demands of work.....  

The whole idea went to hell in a hand cart right from the start.  First, I had no idea what sort of trouble I was getting into by thinking I could properly heat treat O-1 with the very limited equipment I have for that type of work.  I only found out after I asked Wick Ellerbe for some advice and after I had invested way more time that I planned in shaping (incorrectly I might add) the blade.  Wick took pity on me and VERY generously offered to bail me out and do the heat treating for me.  (Wick also offered a lot of his time and advice on blade shaping, file guides, types of steel to use and a myriad of other knife making tips.  I very much appreciate his help.)

While the blade was off to Wick for heat treat, I went to work on the grip.  But, as they say about the best laid plans of mice and men, things seemed to take on a life of their own.  I did manage to make a simple straight, flat brass guard, but ended up embellishing the edge a bit with some boarder engraving...not too bad though, I thought.
 Simple...elegant...not over done...Then I went looking for a suitable piece of hardwood to make the grip but stumbled, almost immediately, upon a piece of Hippopotamus ivory I had.  Before I could control myself, I had already cut up the Hippo ivory and turned the grip.  And then it looked too plain, so I added the flutes.  The simple ferrules looked too plain now, with the fluted ivory and all, so I had to add some wedding band type decoration.

Anyway, you can see what happened.  

At any rate, the blade is 10 inches long, the grip is stained with tea, and this time I went for broke and riveted the butt cap on.  Now, I need to think about a scabbard.......

IvoryhandledKnife1.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife2.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife3.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife4.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife5.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife6.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife7.jpg

IvoryhandledKnife8.jpg

:thumbsup: that is beautiful, great craftman ship, putting all those pieces together, and coming out looking like that is an art form.Keep up the awesome work
:applause:

I'd say it was beautiful, but that is like calling an aircraft carrier a big boat.

Your talent and skill astounds me Dave.

:shocked2:

If that is an attemt at simplicity, I am afraid you completely missed the mark. :haha:

That is a very nice looking knife.

Hippo ivory! Where did you get ahold of a hippo tooth?

Once again I am completely awed by your work. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the kind comments, but if you want to see some really great knives, look here:
http://www.wickellerbe.com/

P.S. Cynthialee....I got the hippo ivory from a hippo.........just kidding. I will look up the outfit I got it from and post it.

Dave C

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back