• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another guy showing off the knives he made :-)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasilikilt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello again :)

In my opinion these knives look rather crude and amateurish compared to the really great work I see the rest of you guys churning out....
These however are among my personal best to date.

I was going for a style that is roughly appropriate for the French & Indian and Rev War.
I've looked over dozens and dozens of photos ranging from rusted artifacts, museum pieces, as well as modern reproductions.
Please take a look and tell me what you all think.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. Oh, yes I realize that my finish work leaves much to be desired :shake:

DSCN4211.jpg

DSCN4192.jpg

DSCN4195.jpg

DSCN4194.jpg

Thanks for having a look!

Iain

Thank you for sharing. Ain't nothing wrong with them knives. I like them. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Vern

i think they look great,i would carry any of them. will they be up for purchase.

I'd be proud to carry one of those, especially the antler handled one. IMO they look very authentic for a blacksmith-made frontier knife. Good job.

Iian,
I could get real fond of the smaller knife in the top photo pretty easy!

Nice work!
The antler handle and metal cap is pretty eye appealling as well!

I find these knives to be very attractive. Some of the "period" knives being made today are so perfect they look like they were made to be a "reproduction" instead of looking like they are the real thing. Excellent job!

Those are Great!! I really like the small one in top pic! You got talent.

I, too, really like that smaller knife in the top photo! Does it hold a sharp edge so that it could be used as a patch knife? Is it small enough to sheathed and worn as a neck knife?

WOW! Thanks for all the glowing compliments-It certainly means a lot!

To answer some of your questions....I used 5160 spring steel for these blades.
I made sure to do a lot of reading, experimenting and asked plenty of questions about normalizing cycles, hardening and tempering.
They have all taken a good edge, and kept them a lot better than my previous attempts :)

I'm surprised that so many of you took a liking to the little pip-squeak knife....
It is up for grabs, and I have a few more of similar size and shape waiting to get handles put on them.

Ohh yes....I completely agree that a lot of the gear being sold nowadays is altogether too polished and perfect looking.....
It must be a combination artisans displaying their skills to modern customers who are accustomed to the flawless mass-produced goods.

Thanks again for all the compliments and kind words!

Iain

Back