• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

another GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Gang
Well I waited for a year and my 54 cal GPR Kit finally come, and when I saw it I bought my 15 year old son a GPR in 50... already finished mind you... So any iders on how to pretty mine up a bit as I assemble it? Well iders can flow when ever you are ready ...any pic of yours?
My best regards a Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

I browned all metal and used just Tru oil on the stock and it looks real good. The guy I work with did the same, however, he left the nose cap and barrel pin escutions sp? in the white, and it really sets it off!

I put one together a few years ago, I added an oval patch/cap box, you can add some tacks also to spruce it up or finish it ligther than the factory guns, or leave the furniture and barrel white and age with mustard or bluein/browning then rubbing back for an aged look, lots of ways to put a bit of you into it.

gpr-1.jpg

I'm building a .54 flinter and am currently trying out several different finishes. I bought a walnut 1x4 plank and cut out some witness boards to use for experiments.

SO FAR - using a red mahogany oil stain diluted with mineral spirits (2 parts ms to 1 part stain) really adds a nice highlight to the walnut. I'm waiting for some Herter's French Red stain/filler from Brownell's to try next. I've eliminated two other red tinted stains and lighter dilutions of the red mahogany so far.

For a top coat(s) I'm comparing Tru-Oil with tung oil, boiled linseed oil and Tru-Oil with B/C Stock Sheen and Conditioner.

I'll be posting pictures in my thread, "GPR in walnut - how to finish" on the Gun Builders Bench subforum. I was going to brown all the metal parts until I saw what 41aeronca did with his. Now I'm not so sure - I like what he did.

Hey
Wow thats cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Maybe I will try it I have an orginal round patch box also... cool... I am also browning all the metal, I would love to add a enlet star or moon..
Best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

"For a top coat(s) I'm comparing Tru-Oil with tung oil, boiled linseed oil and Tru-Oil with B/C Stock Sheen and Conditioner."

If you haven't tried it you might like the a linssed oil/spar varn/mineral spirits mix, I think the mix is one cup oil. 1/4 cup varn 1/4 cup spirits, this is more water proof and tougher than plain lin oil coat the stock then after a few minutes wipe off in a smooth motion, repeat as needed.

Here's a link to my GPR. I used LMF Landcaster Maple and Cherry stain, and finished with BLO mixed with mineral spirits...
Scott

GPR

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Awesome look I think the browning ider looks great. I actually plan to do mine that way bought the browning solution as well... I am sure I will post a pic when it is done... OH no now the stock... Hummm? say what time period could this type have been used?
my best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

When you get to the wedge plates, Lube the tiny screw threads with soap or else they will snap right off into the stock. I found out the hard way :cursing:

Zonie always repeats the best idea for walnut... just wipe the bare stock with a moist rag and take it outside to look at. You will get a general (not exact) idea of what it will look like with a clear oil finish. GPR stock colors seem to vary quite a bit from stock to stock.

I like mine browned, but the grey-patina look is not bad if you do a more reddish finish, IMHO.

Mine is fairly plain, other than I just put in an RPL lock and Davis deerslayer trigger set.

TG's is top-notch work, and if you search the forum you will find other GPRs that people have gussied up :thumbsup:

Hey Guys awesome iders . say what model or rifle did Lyman copy or was inspired by?
Best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

In another thread on the history of the CVA Mountain Rifle (I think it's on the Percussion Rifle subforum) there is evidence that a person instrumental in the Mountain Rifle gun went to work for Lyman and designed (or influenced) the GPR. They are very similar. The Mountain Rifle and subsequently the GPR were based on, but not intentional replicas of, the J&S Hawken designs.

Latest posts

Back