• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Annual debate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 17 neighbors adjoining my farm. I get along well with all but two. One let her kid use her lawn tractor to mow his name in my wheat field, told her kid to throw rocks from her garden into my hay field and I caught her boyfriend pulling out my fence posts. I had it surveyed before the posts were even put in. Another neighbor invited her grand kids and their buds to ride their 4 wheelers and dirt bikes on MY property. They cut the pasture fence, because it was in the way. Her adult son has been committed to an institution so many times, the local police just haul him to the mental ward regardless of what he has done. He set fires on other people's property, peeped in windows at night and threatens, "I can kill you and I will just get sent back to the hospital" I have found her adult daughter standing in the woods behind my house at 11 pm. When asked if she needed help, she just said she was out for a walk.

The only way the law will do anything to help enforce the exclusion of the few undesirables is if I post the property. It is the unfortunate result of our modern society.

Sounds Ugly. Sometimes you just have to do what has to be done (Posting). Don't even get me started with ATV abuse. Hope it works out for you.

That does sound bad. I don't envy your situation at all.

BTW, on my Grandfathers old farm, which has since been sub divided and is still "country", yet now there are four homes\barns\pole buildings on it, but the original house (and a wonderful over 100 year old milk house) still stands there. A few hundred yards behind the property that my Aunt now own's (and she reside's in the original house) is public land for hunting.

Now, there are essentially two ways to get to this land. You could simply stop and ask her if you could cross her property (and even hunt the fine pines and brush\trees before you reach the public property) or, take the tough one-mile walk around the road and then thru the briar's and part swamp to get to this great hunting spot.

If you ask, she will tell you yes. But, if she doesn't know you, and you just pull up on her property (which BTW is not posted) she will walk down, ask who you are, and should you not be connected to a "local family" be summarily booted. But....all you have to do is ask.

Not difficult, just be polite. Just like her father, my Grandfather had taught her.

Man, I miss those days.

Dave

zimmerstutzen said:
PA has a three week flint only season beginning the day after Christmas. Every year this time, the fiends of in-lines start things on the hunting forums about getting the flint only season opened up to in-lines. Well, I did get a bit carried away. I referred to them as "No Hunter Left Behind" guns. Got suspended from the site.

I've seen a lot worse said on that site with no time out.

Well Zimmer I would just let them talk because nothing you will say will change their views. I am from PA as well and I would not enjoy the season being changed in any way with the possible exception of going back to round ball only. I truly believe it should be ball only but that's just me.

The problem with the in-lines are scopes, pointed bullets and stronger powders along with being more weather resistant. As I see it they are single shot rifles capable of much longer ranges. The technology will only advance for the years ahead. I went out in rifle season this year and had many chances to harvest a deer but I didn't shoot any of the ones I had in my scope; just too easy so I passed; wouldn't see much difference with an in-line.

I don't care what other people use or like but I sure don't want to be crowded out of the only season I enjoy anymore. It's the only time of the year that I get in the woods without all bling and bang. Heck; some of these guys are wanting to use AR's and other semi and autos in these seasons now.

I know how I feel and if the game commission goes much further with all of this baloney I will just quit buying a license all together. I also wouldn't trade a truckload of crossbows and compounds for my Bear Grizzly recurve bow. Those things will be shooting 100 yards before much longer. It's just not hunting anymore.

I am just a couple years from a lifetime Sr. license and there is no small game other than squirrels anywhere around here. Getting a deer is nice, but is such a small part of what was hunting when I started.

Seems like todays' hunters want the easiest most technologically advanced way to kill a deer possible. Many spend more time scouting the giant retailers for an edge, than scouting the woods.

If it wasn't invented within the past two years, it must not be any good.

I also miss the abundance of small game that was around when I was a younger man. Today flintlock deer hunting is pretty much all I do. I never see any rabbits, grouse, pheasant during my hunts and just general woods walking throughout the year. I don't know why but it's just not there anymore.

There are lots of squirrel and turkey; neither of which interests me much. I like the flint season for the simple reason that I can still find places to go that are not overrun with other hunters who are banging away at everything that moves. Adding more technology to that season will only serve to ruin it for me. I will continue to go until it's just not for me anymore. I really miss the old days.

Walks with fire said:
....I don't care what other people use or like but I sure don't want to be crowded out of the only season I enjoy anymore. It's the only time of the year that I get in the woods without all bling and bang. Heck; some of these guys are wanting to use AR's and other semi and autos in these seasons now.

I know how I feel and if the game commission goes much further with all of this baloney I will just quit buying a license all together. I also wouldn't trade a truckload of crossbows and compounds for my Bear Grizzly recurve bow. Those things will be shooting 100 yards before much longer. It's just not hunting anymore.

They already do;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXcwMyrqYM

Last edited by a moderator:
zimmerstutzen said:
Seems like todays' hunters want the easiest most technologically advanced way to kill a deer possible. Many spend more time scouting the giant retailers for an edge, than scouting the woods.

If it wasn't invented within the past two years, it must not be any good.

Which is an astute observation. I watch conversations on many general hunting boards. I have noticed that whenever anyone brings up the subject of scouting, they actually mean putting out a camera more often than not. One guy recently went down his checklist of things he needed to do better this year. Near the top of the list was the objective "Do more scouting" followed by how he intended to address it; "I'm going to increase my game cams from 4 to 6." :shake:

XXX said:
Walks with fire said:
I also wouldn't trade a truckload of crossbows and compounds for my Bear Grizzly recurve bow. Those things will be shooting 100 yards before much longer. It's just not hunting anymore.

They already do;

Not arguing with your point, guys, but have you ever read the ranges that Saxton Pope, Art Young, Howard Hill, and Fred Bear shot stuff at? My point being, the old bows were capable of killing at those ranges too. :v

Spikebuck said:
XXX said:
Walks with fire said:
I also wouldn't trade a truckload of crossbows and compounds for my Bear Grizzly recurve bow. Those things will be shooting 100 yards before much longer. It's just not hunting anymore.

They already do;

Not arguing with your point, guys, but have you ever read the ranges that Saxton Pope, Art Young, Howard Hill, and Fred Bear shot stuff at? My point being, the old bows were capable of killing at those ranges too. :v

Capable yes, but not ethically. Most deer are likely to move while the arrow is taking that long flight. The early modern bowhunting pioneers went through a learning, or relearning curve early in the 20th century where they did in fact take those kind of hail mary shots at deer and other game. It gave early bowhunters a bad name and the practice was ended by group scorn rather than by making it illegal. It was just too difficult with traditional equipment to make a certain kill shot at those ranges so people stopped doing it. Not as true now with a compound. The guy in the video is almost nonchalant about it.

The simple fact is that the in-liners can use their rifles in the regular firearms season, (as can we), but they want to use their modern, scoped repeater then. It's all about getting another season to get another chance at a deer, and play with their toys...which we all do, but they can stay the h- out of traditional flintlock season. Of course, here in Allegheny County, we have a shotgun only (slugs) season concurrent with flintlock. Wearing of orange is optional for flinters (as is the taking of prisoners.) :wink:

TwoWithOne said:
Where abouts you from in Pgh Im in the east end.

I'm east of Pgh. In the area of Murrysville. Funny thing about Pittsburgh....nobody is actually from "Pittsburgh" yet we all use that as it's easy to toss out for reference. Usually when your from the area then you get into specifics....such as "Moon Twp", "West End", "Butler", etc.

Dave

TwoWithOne said:
Been down this road before also and there was some maiming going on at these distances.

Yep, no doubt there was. Just like there would be if ordinary "Joe the Bowhunter" tries shooting 100 yards with his compound bow.

The original poster to whom I was responding said that soon compounds will be able to kill a deer at 100 yards. My point is, stick bows could do that, early compounds could do that. It's not a new concept. In fact, for the average shooter, it's not going to be feasible with bows to be consistently good at those yardages. The guy in the video makes that look easy because he probably practices his ars off. Byron Ferguson makes the impossible shot look easy with a longbow. Have you seen the almost impossible running shots Barry Wenzel makes in some of his earlier videos? I saw a video of Ben Pearson kill a Javelina so far away it barely looked like a pin point in the bottom of a canyon. I think he also shot about a 1/2 dozen pheasants on the wing in a row in that video too.

Net, how far one can shoot is a function of some natural ability or talent and a lot of practice. Bows of all kinds can kill at far greater distances than most any of us will ever be good at. Or, as one poster pointed out, should shoot at when it comes to living things that move whether your bow shoots 180 fps or 300 fps. :v

Im actually from the city of Pgh. They employ me and you have to live in the city limits to be gainfully employed. Im next to Shadyside if you ever heard of it. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back