• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Primitive Knives 1770-1870

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Before I start I owe an apology to my 5th grade teacher to whom I once said "...outside of your class, I do not see any need for ever giving a book report."

"American Primitive Knives 1770-1870" by Gordon B. Minnis, published by Museum Restoration Service. Gordon Minnis researched, collected and studied primitive knives for over 30 years.

This is an outstanding book for the students of early american knives. The book is 100 pages in length. Mr. Minnis goes into detail on who, where, how, when and why these knives were made.

The book gives nice clear black and white pictures of each knife. A very accurate and detail dexcription and comparison of each knife is written. He discusses belt knives, utility knives, patch knives, daggers and bowie knives. Sixty knives total.

apk.jpg

This is the largest illustrated book on early knives I have come across.

The final portion of the book Mr. Minnis gives us tips on where to find these knives. He also tells us proper care and cleaning of them when we find them.

This book can be found by searching for the title on the web. The price varies greatly from site to site so besure to shop around a little.

I still find this book very enjoyable. I continually pick the book up a browse through its pages. It seems like every time I do, I learn something new.

Joe Yanta

My friend Curdog has that book.
I once spent about three hours drooling over that one.
Lots of great ideas and you realize the simplicity of the knife from that era.

There are three very good books on American knives : The best is "American Primitive Knives 1770-1870" by Gordon Minnis,the second is "The Knife in Homespun America" by Madison Grant and the third one is "American Knives" by Harold L. Peterson. I have listed them in order of my preference but they are all excellent.I prefer Gordon's text to Madison who gets carried away and is perhaps too trusting of the descriptions furnished by owners.Peterson is a little dated and limited in the pictures.There is reputed to be a very fine old fake in this book but I will leave it up to readers here to form their own conclusion. By the way the same is true about "American Indian Tomahawks" also by Peterson. :what:
Cheers
Tom Patton

Back