• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American East Coast Guys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tb54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My wife seen a Facebook post on the expected cicada 17yr plague expected to emerge over there this spring. I’ve never lived through something like that. What are you’re thoughts, concernes, experiences with those buggers?

I’ve experienced several. It boils down to “Hey look at all those cool bugs” and then you carry on with your day. It’s a pretty cool phenomenon that adds a bit of spice, and windshield cleaning, to your week.

They are an interesting experience if you live in the city. But for those of us in the country with large amounts of woodlands around us the sound will drive you crazy. Wearing ear plugs all day long is of little help! But then we only have to put up with them every 17 years.

I have had the great pleasure of experiencing our local 17 year and 15 year hoards. The 17 year is the big one. Depends on if they are in your area or not. It is cool, they don't eat anything so they are no danger to your plants. Birds love to eat them, we had chickens last time around and they gorged themselves. Dogs kinda like them too so maybe keep an eye on fido so he doesn't eat too many. In the mornings and evenings they get into a synchronized buzzing sound that can be very mesmerizing. I drove up to a mountain valley last time at sunrise, the entire valley was reverberating with their sound. It was a very special moment.

Two that I vividly remember and the one in my native Georgia was astonishing. One had to get a quarter of a mile from any forested area to carry on a conversion and the din was easily heard at absolutely any place in the county. It was fascinating and I loved it!

Back