• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

amadou

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjohnson56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, I'm new to a lot of this stuff so, amadou, I had to google this just to find out what you folks were talking about. I think I got the type of fungus ( the white ones off of birch trees? ) and that the layer I want is right under the cream colored cap.

Now is there a preparation that I need to do as in charing or drying?

When prepared right will this just catch a spark like char cloth?

You cut that thin velvety layer out of our shelf or horses-hoof fungus - the layer right below the hard outer shell and the "gills" in the center. It kind of looks like braintan leather. Lightly pounding it "fluffs" it up a bit more.

Then you prepare a strong solution of potassium nitrate dissolved in water. Just mix those "salt" crystals in until no more will dissolve in the water.

Then you soak your chunks of fungus in them. They will absorb that solution. Soak until the solution has soaked completely through the fungus layer. Then drain/dry your chunks of fungus. The potassium nitrate solution can be used several times until too much of the "salts" in it have been soaked out of it.

Once it is dry, it will catch a spark from flint/steel as-is. And once it has caught a spark, it will burn fairly hot and somewhat fast. It will burn kind of like the fuse on a firecracker, but not that fast. And it will be very hard to put back out, so only use a small chunk each time.

It will be somewhat similar to the match cord used on a matchlock musket. Those are cotton/linen cord that has been soaked in a potassium nitrate solution - with some other ingredients mixed in to control the speed of its burning/smoldering.

Amadou was made and used to make it a little easier to catch that initial spark. It generally works a little faster than charred punky wood (depending upon how good your charred punk is).

But amadou is also somewhat hydroscopic - it absorbs moisture from the air - just like black powder. So you need to protect and carry it more carefully.

In the end, charcloth is so much easier to make and use. The only problem with it is that it has not been documented before the mid 1800's. But amadou, charred punk, tinder fungus, and a few other things have been documented - written about in journals of the times.

Hope this helps explain it a little.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Depending upon how much potassium nitrate your amadou/fungus has absorbed, it will spit out little sparks/pops as it burns. Something to watch out for.

I have used Amadou patches for drying fishing flies on the stream. The hygroscopic nature of this material is quite outstanding---to absorb moisture and not get wet. This is the first time I ever hear it mentioned except in Fly-Fishing publications. :thumbsup:

I have heard people talk about something for fly fishing called "amadou". But I do not know if it is the same thing as the amadou of old.

It all depends upon what this fly fishing stuff is made of. Terms and definitions changed over the years. Does it get its hydroscopic qualities from being treated in potassium nitrate or some other chemicals? That would be the key question.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Ok, I found a source for potassium nitrate (wallmart pharmacy) , now I need to know if a 4 oz bottle is enough to do a small batch, seems a though it should be.

I also saw a film where pn was put in a coffee can and had a chemical reaction that got so hot it melted the can but don't know if there was something else added. Do I need to mix the water and pn in a plastic container? If so how is the best way to store the treated fungi, can it be put in a brass or tin box?

Thanks for all the help so far Mike, sure is nice having good people willing to share what they know.

You dissolve your PN in water until that water will not mix in anymore - leaving crystals un-dissolved on the bottom. It's a "salt", so you do the same as if you were making saltwater. And you don't need much. A small glass/plastic baby food jar would work well. Possibly a well-washed asprin bottle.

You soak your strips/slices of fungi in that solution until it has soaked completely through. A few hours up to possibly a day. Then let it drip-dry (kind of like laundry).

The water draws the PN into the fungi, and then the water needs to evaporate leaving that PN within the fungi. The stronger the "solution", the more PN will be drawn into the fungi.

PN is ... hydroscopic - it draws moisture from the air. So you need to store it in something fairly air/moisture tight. And it is also corrosive to metals. The best way to think about it is to treat it like black powder.

Potassium Nitrate is also an "oxidizer". It has chemically bound oxygen in it, and will release that oxygen when heat is supplied - and rapidly. That extra oxygen then helps feed your spark/fire. It's the same with black powder. It does not "explode", but burns very very fast - with that PN supplying lots and lots of extra oxygen for the burn.

Potassium Nitrate is the main ingredient in black powder. So amadou needs to be treated/handled like black powder. It is not as "explosive" as black powder, but will still catch a spark as easily and will burn hot - continuing to burn until it runs out of material. It's a lot like a fuse for a cannon. And it is very similar to the Slowmatch used on a matchlock.

Let your new amadou drip back into your original soaking container. Any PN that did not get absorbed into the fungi will then just go back into your solution. When you don't see any un-dissolved PN crystals in the bottom of your solution, then add a few more. The water will only absorb so much - leaving any extra as those undissolved crystals in the bottom.

Your amadou needs to be stored away from metal contact, and away from moiste air. Most people use a plastic baggy for storage - until they transfer what they need to use for the weekend into a more pc container. A heavily waxed/greased leather or canvas pouch works well.

Hope these rambling thoughts help.

Mikey

I have used amadou for drying flies also.

There is a fungus that grows on birch trees where they have been damaged which is called chaga or tinder fungus. It looks like a black mass that you break open, air dry and use as is, no need to adulterate it. I have some works great. There is a guy on ebay that sells it. I believe that is what your referring to.

Tinder Fungus

Back