• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets talk firestarting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a cold, blustery day here in southern Ohio, so I took a few minutes to shred some tinder for my flint and steel kit. That shredded fiber is hemp cord which you can get about anywhere. I find those fine hemp fibers catch fire readily when you blow on them. The char cloth is charred cotton (old flannel shirt) but the other is charred pure cotton strings. I REALLY like using the strings as there are lots of nooks and crannies to catch and hold a spark. The charred string, cloth and hemp fiber almost guarantee me 100% ignition in getting a nice glow going to the tinder bundle, usually on the first strike of the flint against steel. The only time it doesn't happen really fast is if I don't use enough material to really get a flame going. Lastly, that little white pop-top container is a container that diabetes check strips came in. There is an added coating on the inside of the container to keep moisture away from the strips .... it will also help keep moisture away from your dry tinder helping you get your fire going. Anyone that uses those strips just throw away those containers and they would be happy to give them to you. You can also use the containers for pre-measured charges of blackpowder as it will also help keep the powder dry inside the container.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• fire stuff.JPG
    fire stuff.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 109
I like to save the tow that I use to clean the rifle or the smoothie. I will then rinse out the crud, and let it dry in the sun. This works for tinder too. Where I'm at, hemp cord is pretty costly, and only found in craft stores in the beading section. Jutte fibers also work, but you often need to wash them with a lye soap to get oil out of the Jutte, and not leave residue from the soap. Otherwise you get a LOT of smoke but no flame from the Jutte.

The next level above the fibers, is shavings or twigs, or..., wild grapevine bark. You can peel off bits and it burns well but not too fast. I keep a bunch in my fire starting kit.

WILD GRAPEVINE.JPG

I also carry a "cheater" in my fire kit. I save the butt ends of my beeswax candles. The candle lays on it's side and the tinder not only catches larger twigs and shavings alight, but also the candle. This I normally only do when the weather is foul, or I'm in a huge hurry to get the fire big when I'm cooking for a crew. It also helps accelerate building up the fire when a person has wet clothing and is having a hypothermia problem (that's where I first saw it used). 😉

I'm considered a "pyro" in my reenactment group. 🤪 I don't use modern accelerants, I simply know how to make a good fire, in a short time. It's practice really.
I've seen lots of people at living history events struggle with damp materials, not knowing about gathering dead branches from standing trees as the first fuel for a fire when it's damp. Maybe here is where I admit that there was a time when I did use accelerants, until a nice Scout leader showed me what I was doing wrong while at the same time suggesting I stop carrying Ronsol in my pack. 😳

I like to light my pipe with char and flint & steel. Beats cupping your hands and using a match or twelve.... 😶

LD

I don’t consider a candle stub a cheater. Was out on a trek in January, it had snowed two days before been cold and then warmer. Everything was wet. I set two fires. The first just wouldn’t catch. So our comes a candle stub. And soon I had a nice little blaze going though it sounded like popcorn.
What would have old timers done in this situation?
Well they would have said ‘no game or injun will be movin’ today.’ And stayed warm and dry in camp or cabin. If they had to be out and about I have no doubt but they would have a stub, or greased dry stuff in their fire kit or some sort of ‘cheater’.
We take a lot of pride being wet and cold and bulling our way through, the old boys knew the value of a roof and fireplace in nasty wet weather.

It is a cold, blustery day here in southern Ohio, so I took a few minutes to shred some tinder for my flint and steel kit. That shredded fiber is hemp cord which you can get about anywhere. I find those fine hemp fibers catch fire readily when you blow on them. The char cloth is charred cotton (old flannel shirt) but the other is charred pure cotton strings. I REALLY like using the strings as there are lots of nooks and crannies to catch and hold a spark. The charred string, cloth and hemp fiber almost guarantee me 100% ignition in getting a nice glow going to the tinder bundle, usually on the first strike of the flint against steel. The only time it doesn't happen really fast is if I don't use enough material to really get a flame going. Lastly, that little white pop-top container is a container that diabetes check strips came in. There is an added coating on the inside of the container to keep moisture away from the strips .... it will also help keep moisture away from your dry tinder helping you get your fire going. Anyone that uses those strips just throw away those containers and they would be happy to give them to you. You can also use the containers for pre-measured charges of blackpowder as it will also help keep the powder dry inside the container.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Nice post, and:
Don't forget alternative tinder, but you do have to find it.
Larry

A classic fire starting tinder of the northeast is the fungus that grows on birch trees. The species Fomes fomentarius is often called horse hoof fungus, tinder fungus, tinder conk, and tinder polypore. The species produces fist-sized polypore fruit bodies, which are shaped like a horse’s hoof. They vary in color from a silvery gray to almost black, though you’ll usually find them gray or brown colored. The dead, dry fruiting bodies of this fungus can be shaved into pieces or ground into dust to assist with friction fire spark longevity, or they can be cut into flat chips to be burned as a char-cloth substitute in flint and steel fire making.

SFHHKHX7D7KK4EF7U2URZQCNVA-1024x675.png

I have always heard, but haven't confirmed, that sassafras bark is a great firestarter.

Has anyone tried it?

I don't think a wax or waxed product is cheating. I use a mid-weight canvas for char, and after I'm finished making the char I cut two pieces the same as my starter tin. I soak the two pieces in beeswax after they dry I place one on the bottom of the tin and one on top of the contents. Works as a sealer and in you got maybe some wet wood, drop the waxed canvas in and off you go.

I try and keep it simple

Find dry branch, chop/split/shave into feather stick/ tiny small shavings are the key… add a pinch of Black powder

Then spark it with lead dispenser or other striker / Add Wood

Repeat last part accordingly

*I’m willing to bet that entire process was used many times in the past and is old school authentic.

Attachments

• AA2377A5-4DBE-4E9D-B7E0-D5CC2B25FB86.jpeg
    AA2377A5-4DBE-4E9D-B7E0-D5CC2B25FB86.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 702A8DB4-3564-4761-B125-37C3A8E00824.jpeg
    702A8DB4-3564-4761-B125-37C3A8E00824.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 58
  • F02E211B-192B-41ED-9C49-3BE1380D3B4C.jpeg
    F02E211B-192B-41ED-9C49-3BE1380D3B4C.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I try and keep it simple

Find dry branch, chop/split/shave into feather stick/ tiny small shavings are the key… add a pinch of Black powder

Then spark it with lead dispenser or other striker / Add Wood

Repeat last part accordingly

*I’m willing to bet that entire process was used many times in the past and is old school authentic.
If you go in a fire lighting competition flintlocks and powder are banned , otherwise it works well . I assume a lead dispenser is a firearm ?

There is such a thing as a fire lighting competition? Learned something new today…. And Yes a Lead dispenser is a Firearm or in this reference- A Flintlock rifle.
If you go in a fire lighting competition flintlocks and powder are banned , otherwise it works well . I assume a lead dispenser is a firearm ?

I have a little experience with making fire without matches. Flint and steel is a lot of fun. If any of you pyromaniacs want to master the bow drill I can likely be of assistance. The weather is getting nice and its a good excuse to get some outdoor time.

Here is a video I made a few years ago about rubbing two sticks together ( hand drill ). Note my avatar.

Best we've ever found is dryer lint - gray stuff from the filter. Used it many times for Boy Scout training. Not HC, but it works. Sometimes smells like dog hair.
Lint ...often scraped off clothes, was frequently used in old days for dressings. I have no doubt it was also used as tinder. Lint has been around as long as ...laundry.

Back