• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I a Civil War Gun collector?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although my primary interest is flintlocks I do have some percussion arms. One thing that has always interested me is the variety of guns used in the Civil War.
Being a member of both NMLRA and NSSA I do shoot a variety of guns.
Attached is a picture of my CW arms.
The top rifle musket is a original P53 Enfield with a Whitacre replacement barrel, glass bedded and quite accurate.
The second one down is a early Italian reproduction P59 two band "Navy" rifle. It is almost new and I have never shot it.
The third one down is a Parker Hale P61 "Musketoon" that I have shot a lot, a fun little gun.
The fourth is a repro Maynard model 2 built in the early 1970's, another fun little gun to shoot.
The fifth is a repro Smith cavalry carbine, it had seen very little use before I bought it and I have not shot it either.
The sixth is another repro Smith Artillery carbine and it appears to have never been shot. I don't know if I will ever shoot it.

I mostly shoot the P53 and the Musketoon in the NSSA skirmishes and once in a while the Maynard.

So I guess if I don't shoot some of the guns I have does that make me a collector?

Attachments

• P1100513.JPG
    P1100513.JPG
    623 KB · Views: 4
OK on your opinion.

I will still use the word Collection.

From Wikipedia
The hobby of collecting includes seeking, locating, acquiring, organizing, cataloging, displaying, storing, and maintaining items that are of interest to an individual collector. Collections differ in a wide variety of respects, most obviously in the nature and scope of the objects contained, but also in purpose, presentation, and so forth. The range of possible subjects for a collection is practically unlimited, and collectors have realised a vast number of these possibilities in practice, although some are much more popular than others.

In collections of manufactured items, the objects may be antique or simply collectable. Antiques are collectable items at least 100 years old, while other collectables are arbitrarily recent. The word vintage describes relatively old collectables that are not yet antiques.

I'm just a caretaker who is looking out for them for a while.

Can you imagine how many owners the original weapons must have had during their lifetime?

Last edited:
Although my primary interest is flintlocks I do have some percussion arms. One thing that has always interested me is the variety of guns used in the Civil War.
Being a member of both NMLRA and NSSA I do shoot a variety of guns.
Attached is a picture of my CW arms.
The top rifle musket is a original P53 Enfield with a Whitacre replacement barrel, glass bedded and quite accurate.
The second one down is a early Italian reproduction P59 two band "Navy" rifle. It is almost new and I have never shot it.
The third one down is a Parker Hale P61 "Musketoon" that I have shot a lot, a fun little gun.
The fourth is a repro Maynard model 2 built in the early 1970's, another fun little gun to shoot.
The fifth is a repro Smith cavalry carbine, it had seen very little use before I bought it and I have not shot it either.
The sixth is another repro Smith Artillery carbine and it appears to have never been shot. I don't know if I will ever shoot it.

I mostly shoot the P53 and the Musketoon in the NSSA skirmishes and once in a while the Maynard.

So I guess if I don't shoot some of the guns I have does that make me a collector?
I was unaware that you could use a glass bedded barrel in the NSSA?

It’s a collection. Plain and simple. If you just collected “stuff”, it would still be your collection of stuff. Don’t get hung up on hair splitting. Enjoy what you like and what you have.:cool:

Latest posts

Back