• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Minnesota

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Morgan, Mn. Where are you from. I have been hunting flintlock and side lock since !995 when they opened the season here. Might be a good idea to start with a store bought until you know what you want.

I got a buck Sunday, last day of SE MN B shotgun season with a muzzleloader. I've killed quite a few over the years that way in the shotgun zone. May go again during the CWD hunt in a couple of weeks. I have a Kibler Colonial, finished it last winter. Nice gun, fun project. You could PM me if you want to discuss more.

Not a bad idea at all. Far better to go Kibler quality than to purchase an “entry” level flintlock and experience regret. Kibler’s locks are of outstanding quality. A quality lock and a flat faced breech plug with a correctly drilled touch hole are absolutely necessary in having a trouble free, enjoyable flintlock experience. Budget or poorly designed locks are a misery. If you have the money and basic skills, the Kibler will produce a rifle that you will probably never lose money with. Factory guns will drop in value substantially should you decide that muzzleloading guns are not your cup of tea. Best advice is to go to any muzzleloading clubs. Talk to folks. Specifically flintlock shooters. Find out what they like and why they like it. Learn all you can. There is a huge difference between flint and percussion guns. Factory percussion guns usually work pretty well. Factory produced flintlocks are a a roll of the dice. Some OK (not stellar though), others can be a disappointing misery.
Best of luck with your search!
The Woodsrunner kit looks exceptional, do you own a kit from Kibler?

I run a shoot from may to October in Morristown MN and Twin cities muzzleloaders shoots Jan through April up in new brighten mn come and watch and shoot some we'll be more then willing to help you get started. in reply to your question I would recommend starting with a used mass produced gun your learning curve will be quicker and you can up grade later. pm me and we can talk to figure out your likes and we can arrange to meet and possible a lone of a gun to shoot
Thank you for the offer I would be glad to meet up!

Welcome from Morgan, Mn. Where are you from. I have been hunting flintlock and side lock since !995 when they opened the season here. Might be a good idea to start with a store bought until you know what you want.
I live in Winona. My experience is with modern percussion styles. I mostly shot a Vortex. Have you hunted deer with your flintlock?

I got a buck Sunday, last day of SE MN B shotgun season with a muzzleloader. I've killed quite a few over the years that way in the shotgun zone. May go again during the CWD hunt in a couple of weeks. I have a Kibler Colonial, finished it last winter. Nice gun, fun project. You could PM me if you want to discuss more.
Thank you for the offer, I will be in touch!

Latest posts

Back