• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am Nick (Nicholas) Taylor. I live in Southampton, England, UK. I have been shooting and collecting black powder guns since 1977.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from New England, the great little state of Rhode Island.
My Scottish ancestors embarked from Ireland in 1723.
I like all things British. Hope to visit some day.

Most of Ulster - six counties - is in Northern Ireland - part of the UK. The original nine counties of the historical province were divided up in 1922, with the foundation of the Irish Free State, with Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal remaining as part of the Free State. The Republic of Ireland came into being in 1948.

If your people came off the boat before 1922, then they would have been citizens of the United Kingdom, like my dad, born in Cork City in 1904.
not sure of the exact 'family history ... i think that my maternal grandmother was born in Canada, but her husband was born in Ireland. I know that my father's dad was born in Canada, but i think his mom might have been born in Scotland ... makes me a Celt, i guess

Welcome.

I have half of a knife, I got from a British gentleman who lived in Rock springs, they made him cut the blade off at 3inch and register it, he left Britain and migrated to Wyoming.

Would love to hear about shops in Britain where you could go, back in the seventies or eighties, and purchase a muzzleloader. What was the first piece you ever got where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?

Welcome.

I have half of a knife, I got from a British gentleman who lived in Rock springs, they made him cut the blade off at 3inch and register it, he left Britain and migrated to Wyoming.

Would love to hear about shops in Britain where you could go, back in the seventies or eighties, and purchase a muzzleloader. What was the first piece you ever got where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?

I live in UK and I've never heard of any kind of knife registry. I think your British gentleman was telling you porkies.

Also, although you CAN buy any GENUINE antique muzzleloader without any kind of documentation, you are not allowed to shoot it unless you have it on your Firearms Certificate [Section 1] if rifled, or Shotgun Certificate [Section 2], if smoothbore.

thank you for reply.

He had the Knife on his table for some time with the straight flat cut off blade, then the knife guy, the guy who does all of the knife dealing got it from him and put a point on it and I got it from him.

He passed away several years ago now his wife is still alive although I don't know where she's living.

But he did say that, no one was allowed to own any pointed knives/ weapons, and also that nothing was permitted longer than three, or four inches, in length.

He wasn't jokin,

Attachments

• IMG_20231225_015248.jpg
    IMG_20231225_015248.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_1702900559701blob.jpg
    thumbnail_1702900559701blob.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
thank you for reply.

He had the Knife on his table for some time with the straight flat cut off blade, then the knife guy, the guy who does all of the knife dealing got it from him and put a point on it and I got it from him.

He passed away several years ago now his wife is still alive although I don't know where she's living.

But he did say that, no one was allowed to own any pointed knives/ weapons, and also that nothing was permitted longer than three, or four inches, in length.

He wasn't jokin,

He certainly was joking. In UK a Section 5 License is a very highly restricted and restrictive police authority granted to enable the holder to deal in firearms that are prohibited for use by civilians in the UK - self-loading semiautomatic centrefire rifles and carbines, and cartridge-loading handguns that are prohibited on Mainland UK, although not necessarily in Northern Ireland, where any kind of handgun is permitted. IOW, what you might call an arms dealer.

Quote -

'What is a Section 5 licence?

You need a section 5 authority to handle prohibited weapons, component parts and prohibited ammunition. This includes applications: to keep or use heritage pistols under section 7(3) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988. for private maritime security companies.'

There is no mention whatsoever of weapons with a blade, no matter how long or short.

There is no license for a knife of any kind, however, there ARE limits to the dimensions and style of knife that you can carry in a public space.

Walking around a shopping mall carrying this - openly or concealed - is an offence - I've owned it for well over fifty years, BTW -

1703525172693.png

There are a great many prestigious knifemakers here in the UK who would be out of a job it they had to have a 'license' to go about their business. The patch you have shown is total codswallop.

The Worshipful Guild of Cutlers was founded in 1416 - The Worshipful Company of Cutlers

I'm sure you've heard of Sheffield and Sheffield Steel - many companies founded in the later 1700's are still in business there.

This is the comment from a site founder here in UK who is also a well-known dealer in firearms and outdoor sporting gear.

Quote - 'BS'

Last edited:
I am full member of The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain. My most active shooting occurs T International Bisley Ranges and in a shooting range within a Fort built at Portsmouth for the war with Napoleon Bonapart. I have now reached the bright old age of 70, apparently I look and move around with the agility of a .uxh younger person, and I teach silversmithing and Jewellery making at a college in Winchester three evenings a week with some full day courses on Saturdays.
As you can imagine this is very useful for cosmetic work on the guns if I need to, that is.
Congrats on your collection. I am currently shooting meteor powder from Great Britain. Very old but still shoots good. Saving my last can for collection

Latest posts

Back