• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

alternative to gun safe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfJustice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In a few months I will be moving into an apartment in a city, and I want to securely store my firearms. However, as you already know every gun safe out there is not designed for blackpowder weapons-most are 56 inches tall on the outside-my musket is 56 inches long already!

Not only that, but as a college student I don't want to spend too much on a safe/cabinet/locker. Somewhere around $300.

What I am thinking about is a metal storage cabinet. What do you guys use to store your longarms?

Found this one it's 55" tall but I bet if you cock the butt out a tad it would fit. There are others but more expensive. Saw a 59" I think but was close to 600.00.
[url] http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=359227[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have a spare closet, you could drill a hole in the door for a dead bolt, with the permission of your landlord, or put a doorknob with a lock on it. It wouldn't be metal but you could also build one pretty cheaply if you are handy with wood. It's easy to make a rack on a wall..just get a two by four and drill a bunch of holes about 2 inches apart and put 6 inch or so dowel rods in them so the guns don't slide. Just some ideas.

there was a gun show on TV couple weeks ago had a 10 ft gun...how do you lock that up,,,or better yet take it to the range other than a convertable... :nono: :nono: :nono:

Cost would be much more, but through the years ive seen various items of furniture, such as book cases that opened up to hidden storage behind the book shelves, coffee tables with an opening but lockable top to provide storage.
Years ago, a friend and myself built a replica of an old oak 4 drawer file cabinet, that was actually a false front for hidden storage.
something like that might be an option.

My brother built his own bed. Underneath the bed was a pull out drawer from the foot end of the bed. The way he designed it you could not tell that it had a pull out drawer.

He had pins which went through the drawer to stop it from being removed.

RDE

:hmm:
How about a old locker from a school??
You can pick them up at surplus stores sometimes.For maybe 80$$....

Me, I just bought some 7 foot long boards, some cool hinges and hardware a 12 pack and built one.
Total cost 50$$

Rob

I'm big on concealment. Won't even tell you how I do it, but you'd never know the guns are where they are.

But that works best if you leave an "alternative" or two around. Most breakins are quick grabs, so Ileave a couple of real junkers in plain sight. My reasoning is that if the creaps find a gun or two right out in the open, they won't take the time to look for more.

Never been subjected to the ultimate test, but when you're known as a shooter, like as not the folks breaking in are expecting to find guns.

I keep most of my stuff in an old Treadlock safe.
treadlock.jpg
[/img]

You might try a used office furniture supplier for an upright cabinet, and better yet a fire cabinet.

This could save you a bunch!

you could just put trigger locks on them,put them in gun socks and hide them in the closet or under the bed

Build a box to fit under the bed, and put a hasp and lock on it. No one is going to go to the trouble of moving the bed to get to the box to try to open it. That is too much work for the kind of guys who might break into your apartment or room. If you can make the box appear to be part of the bed, all the better. For extra security, remove and store the locks on your ML guns in a dresser, or box in some other location. If someone actually finds the guns, the absense of the locks will make them understand that they are holding a clumbsy walking stick. If it isn't a modern rifle, they won't know what to do with it anyway. If you think the average shooter doesn't know much about ML rifles, you should poll criminals.

Back