• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Renegade Hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point of order: the half-cock setting is by NO means "safe". The only "safe" gun is one that is pointed in a safe direction. Whether it is loaded or not, whether the hammer is in the half-cock position are both irrelevant. Basic rule of gun safety.
My guns are ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction as long as yours are (just so we're clear) on the obvious!/Ed

Thanks for the tip i will look at those!
Heys Tradhuntmt: Years ago when I had a hawken, I had some of those shorter nipples. Here is a pic of one. If you want it to try in your gun, send me your address and I'll put it in an envelope and send it to you to try. Happy to do that for you.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• nipple.jpg
    nipple.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Years ago when I had a hawken, I had some of those shorter nipples. Here is a pic of one. If you want it to try in your gun, send me your address and I'll put it in an envelope and send it to you to try. Happy to do that for you.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Should be able to chuck it into a drill press and shorten it up with a file. You will probably also have to reduce the diameter a bit as they are tapered.

My guns are ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction as long as yours are (just so we're clear) on the obvious!/Ed
Mine are sometimes pointed in an unsafe direction. Usually this happens when I am shooting at something. Safe direction is a relative term; what is safe for me is not necessarily safe for the animal I am aiming at... probably not so good for the individual breaking into my home at night either.

Mine are sometimes pointed in an unsafe direction. Usually this happens when I am shooting at something. Safe direction is a relative term; what is safe for me is not necessarily safe for the animal I am aiming at... probably not so good for the individual breaking into my home at night either.
Word games ,we both know better/Ed

I have noted something on T/C locks. The Hawken lock, while it will fit on a Renegade and function, has a slightly different hammer geometry than the Renegade. It is lower/closer to the nipple at half cock and doesn't center a mucket nipple well. Hawken lock and hammer on a Renegade barrel below. Renegade lock and hammer the upper. Top solo pic is Hawken on Renegade at half-cock, bottom is a renegade on a renegade

I mounted the hawken lock I have on a Renegade setup for comparison

I believe that is due to the 15/16 barrel on the Hawken and the 1" barrel on the Renegade. Note the difference on the hammer striking head. The hammer spur on the Renegade is also swept back whereas the Hawken is not.

Maybe, just maybe, you have a Hawken lock on your gun.

hawken1.jpg

Hawken Lock on Renegade, half cock

hawken.jpg

Renegade lock on Renegade, half cock

half.jpg

Last edited:
The shape of the hammers, if of the same vintage, are the same on the renegade and the Hawken. The newer ones were swept back for ease of use with scopes mounted on the rifles.

The shape of the hammers, if of the same vintage, are the same on the renegade and the Hawken. The newer ones were swept back for ease of use with scopes mounted on the rifles.
Explain the distance from the nipple then, it just isn't the spur that is different

Explain the distance from the nipple then, it just isn't the spur that is different
Tolerance stacking most likely… I’d be very surprised if it was a conscious decision on the part of TC. It looks to me as if TC had at least three distinct versions of these rifles and most but not all parts will interchange.

I’ve never been able to get a capper under the hammer at half cock on any TC I’ve owned. That I can recall at any rate.

Tolerance stacking most likely…
I will have to concur with you on that. Lock inletting location and depth, barrel geometry (If you note in one pic it is the old style barrel, in another the new style), tang seating depth, and hammer geometry is different too. But with all that said, the older style hammer works, interchangeably, where the newer one doesn't. Less sensitive to tolerance stacking because the hammer portion (vice the spur portion) has a little more reach and depth to it.

Why is this "distance between the hammer face and the cap" issue of such concern?! As long as the hammer is not resting on the cap, it isn't a problem. There is nothing wrong with your gun if you have to cock the hammer to cap it.
Zackly! Just answering a question that was asked when I noticed the difference between the two hammer styles

Heys Tradhuntmt: Years ago when I had a hawken, I had some of those shorter nipples. Here is a pic of one. If you want it to try in your gun, send me your address and I'll put it in an envelope and send it to you to try. Happy to do that for you.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Yours was a very collegiate reply and offer and nice to see.

Back