• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Renegade Hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradhuntmt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Very new to blackpowder only shot when I was a wee kid...I am sure that this has been asked but just inherited a 54 cal t/c renegade...the lock mechanism works, have taken it apart and see the half-cock and the full which all lock in place. The issue, or at least I think its an issue and maybe this is how they just worked. When going into the half position the hammer is just MM away from the nipple so there is no room to put on a cap. In all the other videos I have watched to get myself familiar with the gun when i see half position it has like a 1/4 inch or maybe more from the nipple so they can load a cap and stay in the half position till they are ready to go full and fire. Is there something that I need to do..buy a new hammer, replace parts, plan to use it for hunting and want to be as safe as possible...thanks in advanced.

it is screwed down and discovered it had been converted to a musket nipple that obviously stands up higher I have a T/C no 11 nipple on order but even if that nipple is shorter wont have room to add a cap without pulling it back or going to full and then letting it back down and then back up to half.

I have some guns like that. The old Uncle Mike's Hot Shot nipples are a might long compared to the original nipples. O' course there might be other issues as well. What I do is just pull the hammer back to the full-cock position, point the gun in a safe direction, cap the nipple and CAREFULLY lower the hammer to the half-cock position.

This is, of course, a recipe for an accidental discharge, but if you got the gun pointed down range all you lose is a ball, cap and powder charge.

Very new to blackpowder only shot when I was a wee kid...I am sure that this has been asked but just inherited a 54 cal t/c renegade...the lock mechanism works, have taken it apart and see the half-cock and the full which all lock in place. The issue, or at least I think its an issue and maybe this is how they just worked. When going into the half position the hammer is just MM away from the nipple so there is no room to put on a cap. In all the other videos I have watched to get myself familiar with the gun when i see half position it has like a 1/4 inch or maybe more from the nipple so they can load a cap and stay in the half position till they are ready to go full and fire. Is there something that I need to do..buy a new hammer, replace parts, plan to use it for hunting and want to be as safe as possible...thanks in advanced.
I have the same gun, and it has the same half-cock position. I always thought that it was a bit close, but it's actually never been a problem. There is no reason to remove the cap or install one when the hammer is in "safe" position. When capping your gun, cock the hammer fully, install the cap, and release the hammer to half-cock while holding it. All this done with the muzzle in a safe direction, of course.

Thanks everyone for the replies I am just going to go with its working as intended and do as others have suggested pull back cap it let it down and then go back to half-cock. Wish they had done a better job of QC but such is life looking forward to gettting into BP shooting again.

Sorry for the double threads i came back to look for the first one and said i had no threads posted so thought it meant i didnt hit save :)

Sorry for the double threads i came back to look for the first one and said i had no threads posted so thought it meant i didnt hit save :)
TOW carries a shorter nipple with the 1/4 X 28 threads for a T/C. The cap on these nipples practically seats down to the nipple base. This might give you more room to cap at 1/2 cock.

it is screwed down and discovered it had been converted to a musket nipple that obviously stands up higher I have a T/C no 11 nipple on order but even if that nipple is shorter wont have room to add a cap without pulling it back or going to full and then letting it back down and then back up to half.
I’ve added an even longer nipple to my .54 renegade caplock I just put together from used parts and I can still cap mine, but I do use a capper.

even with a capper the hammer sits basically just above the nipple so virtually no clearance...just a super poor design with the hammer and lock as it sounds like this is a very common issue...so will just deal with it and enjoy shooting the gun :)

even with a capper the hammer sits basically just above the nipple so virtually no clearance...just a super poor design with the hammer and lock as it sounds like this is a very common issue...so will just deal with it and enjoy shooting the gun :)
Poor design?!!! On a T/C? Them's fightin' words! ;)

Is there a different hammer one could throw on to help correct it besides heating and bending? Would one of the low profile hammers fit and potentially help...just curious if there are options to resolve if i do find it drives me crazy :)

Not a poor design, just poor placement of the half-cock notch.

All my Renegades /Hawkens (have a bunch) all go to full cock apply cap and go to 1/2 cock(safe)/Ed

All my Renegades /Hawkens (have a bunch) all go to full cock apply cap and go to 1/2 cock(safe)/Ed
Point of order: the half-cock setting is by NO means "safe". The only "safe" gun is one that is pointed in a safe direction. Whether it is loaded or not, whether the hammer is in the half-cock position are both irrelevant. Basic rule of gun safety.

Back