• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A tall enough storage safe for muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best safe is hidden guns.

Which of course leads to keeping some less expensive guns not hidden.
problem i have with hiding guns is i forget where i hid them! and the old standby query to the wife, "honey, have you seen the insert gun here" can only lead to something bad.

Seriously, a guy in K C had that happen to him. The burglars CAME BACK weeks later and made him open it at gun point. He wasn’t hurt except shaken up. That’s why I keep a few old clattering Belgian doubles I refinished for practice laying around. Modified never to fire again. So they will grab them and leave!

I have two Canon 40-count gun safes. They will only hold that many if you store one muzzle up and the next muzzle down. They're 73" from the floor to the top.

I have a Longrifle with a 42" barrel that touches the shelf above. If I took it out, I'd have another 12".

Yeah, somebody could wrap a chain around them and yard them out with a truck. But to what avail? A safe full of busted guns? Oh yeah, I forgot. Some criminals are stupid.

Walt

problem i have with hiding guns is i forget where i hid them! and the old standby query to the wife, "honey, have you seen the insert gun here" can only lead to something bad.
1682617160303.jpeg

The problem with safes is - someone can always MAKE you open it.
Exactly what my Crime Prevention Officer told me when I had a UK Dealers Ticket (FFL). You can have the best security system money can buy but if someone sticks a shotgun up your nose (his words) you are going to let them have anything they want!

One can purchase a safe that is essentially fireproof and tall enough. My safe has 1” of special concrete sandwiched between 2 metal sheets. My Longrifles fit through a slot in one shelf and still allow for another shelf on top. The downside is expense and at 1950 pounds empty it would take some special equipment to move.
I’ve had friends make special rooms with expanded metal sheets and a safe door etc.

I would refrain from suggesting deadly force in defense of property on a public forum. Your business but things can come back to haunt one.
Big difference between problem child inside your home or already outside your home and moving on down the road. An acquaintance years ago shot a burglar who had already left the home. The Georgia judge said next time drag him back into the house. Save us all a lot of time and aggravation.

I bought the tallest Muzzleloader gunsafe I could get in the UK, made by a firm called Brattonsound. It was still too short for my Brown Bess by about 6" so a friend gave me a piece of 5" diameter steel flue pipe that will eventually be welded to the top of the cabinet. In the meantime I have removed the barrel and just keep that and the lock in the cabinet. Problem is my Firearms Enquiry Officer (UK) is convinced that the wood is also an active part of the firearm and should be put away?? It's the proverbial no win situation...
Can your firearms equity officers ruling / opinion be disputed/ appealed, sounds like what is commonly called a dollar a year man type and not using common sense.
A very hard to find trait today , especially with all the ( agendas ) rampant theser days.

Buzz

Can your firearms equity officers ruling / opinion be disputed/ appealed, sounds like what is commonly called a dollar a year man type and not using common sense.
A very hard to find trait today , especially with all the ( agendas ) rampant theser days.

Buzz
I have found in the past it's best not to argue/appeal, especially in the Police region I live in. Common sense has been totally removed from the table. They have an agenda, that is to reduce the amount of guns in private hands and they will create any special 'rules' to support this. The major problem is that the people who are in charge don't understand how guns work or even in some cases, what constitutes a gun?? We (shooters) are tolerated provided that we don't rock the boat. I am convinced that the lead ban is just another way of limiting shooting here in the Europe, it's currently under review and most Shooting Organisations are coming up with ways to carry on using lead but anything with 'Environmental' in the title is a winner. I pray that I am proved wrong!

Back