• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

altering plans and parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
multiple part post im afraid.

if a given pattern for a pistol requires a 15.75 inch barrel, how do you change the pattern to fit a 10-12 inch barrel (all i can find) while keeping the forestock profile very close to the plans?
Im curious as id like to be able to get a commercially breached pistol barrel and avoid having to pay twice as much in order to get a rifle barrel that would need cutting to length.

How easy is it to make alterations to a commercially available lock spring so as to avoid hazards with propane torches and the like?

Bezoar said:
multiple part post im afraid.

if a given pattern for a pistol requires a 15.75 inch barrel, how do you change the pattern to fit a 10-12 inch barrel (all i can find) while keeping the forestock profile very close to the plans?
Im curious as id like to be able to get a commercially breached pistol barrel and avoid having to pay twice as much in order to get a rifle barrel that would need cutting to length.

How easy is it to make alterations to a commercially available lock spring so as to avoid hazards with propane torches and the like?

Have a custom barrel made if you know exactly the dimensions. It really is easier than you think. I had two 9" tapered oct .54 cal pistol barrels made this past spring by Charles at Flintlock Const. Inc. As I had plans of having a brace of New England style pistols made but health issues got in the way. I think they were $60.00 a piece for a custom barrel. And he's not the only one that will make custom barrels out there. If you are interested I don't have contact info but you can ask Roy he knows. I'm sure he or another custom barrel maker can make you a 15.75 inch barrel as long as you know exactly what you need. :thumbsup:

Check with Mark DeHaas, he had a bunch of pistol barrels on his last list, if he doesnt have one, he can make you one realitively quick. Should be well under the cost of a rifle barrel.

To answer your original question, can you modify the fore end to fit a shorter "on-hand" barrel? Certainly, but be aware that there is not much you can do to maintain the porportions of the longer barrel in the fore end. Most, if not all, of the dimensions, barrel depth, web between barrel and R/R groove, side thickness, etc., are pretty well fixed regardless of barrel length. By necessity, the shorter barrel will give the fore end a more stubby look that the longer barrel, there's just not that much "meat" available to take off.
I don't understand your second question.
John

Back