Albanian pistol build

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Good job on that bracket. Pistol is taking shape. Nice job.

Rick

cyten

32 Cal.
Reaction score
looking great so far, looking forward to the end!

Sam squanch

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Need to age the new steel that shows. I left it a bit rough, as the originals I’ve seen were somewhat rough around the edges.

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Sam

WOW!!! That turned out great. I like the black stain on the stock. Looks right for this pistol. The lock now has a new life. LOL What caliber is the barrel ?
I've found that about 30-35 grains of FFG seems to work well with these large caliber, smooth bore flint pistols. Let us know how it shoots. Start at 7 yards.
Again, great job.

Rick

Sam squanch

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thank you! The stain is just ink , about 3 coats with true/oil rubbed on top. Barrel is a 20 gauge, made from a old mossberg barrel I found in a junk shop for $10. I’ll shoot it when I get caught up on yard work.

rickystl

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional photos. Looks great. What material did you use, and how did you make the barrel band ?

Rick

Sam squanch

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The barrel band is the only intact one I got with the Albanian musket wreck I got last year. So it’s original. I just bought the musket for the lock, the stock was busted into about 20 pieces, and looked like a bad re- stock job anyway. I re used the trigger guard and a few stray scraps from it . The buttcap is just an old measuring spoon. The stock is maple from the hardware store, I sawed out two halves and glued it together. Hard to get a thick plank of wood around here anymore, everyone wants them for a fireplace mantle!

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
so the lock is an origionally one? it looks to be one. a great job, I rely, like it!