• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Albanian pistol build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam squanch

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is my progress so far....

Attachments

• 90359C6A-69A6-4FE7-82A1-0D80F17B2B39.jpeg
    90359C6A-69A6-4FE7-82A1-0D80F17B2B39.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 67E1FD3C-B3CC-4672-950C-122785911F3C.jpeg
    67E1FD3C-B3CC-4672-950C-122785911F3C.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 190
Seems to be easier to work on than one thick slab of wood. Time will tell how it will hold up . I think with barrel bands and modern glue it will be fine. It will be a 90% wall hanger, 10% shooter anyway.

Barrel is from a junk mossberg 20 gauge I had my gunsmith cut down and thread. It was slightly pitted enough to look old.

Hi Sam

Albania ? Are you playing with the dark side ? LOL Just kidding. YES !! By all means put that miquelet lock back into action.
Cool project. I found that most of the original rat-tail type stocks are so thin, you can't get a good hand grip on the pistol. Especially with the metal sheathing. It wants to slide/wobble around in your hand. So I used one of those finger-less leather driving gloves and that solved the problem. LOL

Keep us updated on your progress.

Rick

I’ll leave the grip on the stock a little thicker. I don’t think I’ll fancy it up too much. I did find some plain examples online. Now I need a backstory, maybe it was carried by Albanian bologna smugglers.......

And a small problem....

Attachments

• 3733CB33-0214-4ED3-AC17-6921E0F3CBFB.jpeg
    3733CB33-0214-4ED3-AC17-6921E0F3CBFB.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 134
The bracket that holds the cock screw and plate in alignment has broken. Should be easy to make a new one out of modern steel. More educational opportunities!

Hi Sam

NO !!! Don't make a new bracket. I probably have an original part that will fit. Just send me a PM if your interested, You can mail me the broken piece while you finish the rest of the gun, These locks were so popular that many of the parts are close to identical. Just a matter of pistol or musket size.

Rick

Dear Sam .Why two pieces ? not that the glue will fail just unusual . They don't seem to have rods so that simplifies life I used one years ago on a Turkish gun but the M spring recently cracked Ile see if I cant get a pic of that sort of gun & locks.
Regards Rudyard

I made a percussion pistol in shop class in high school that way. ( yes, the horror!) was easier than tracking down a thick slab locally. It was way easier to inlet the barrel, and shape the stock, as I can lay the flat side down on the bench to clamp it. Wood prices have gone sky high here for some reason. I think gorilla glue will work fine. I made model ship hulls this way, so I thought it may work.

Well yes if its suppriseing wood is so hard to sourse . I've made modle ships too . I think If I wasn't making guns I would be making ships .I could likely have sailed on the' Golden Hind' as I visited her and helped rigging her at Appledore Devon & made two matchlocks suitable for the Gunner, Sam Richards of Winnipeg who Ide met aboard the "Nonsuch " in Horse shoe Bay Nr Vancouver .But I was tradeing into India so was tyde up on that course . Did crew a working passage Puerta Cortez to Kingston on a Cayman Island Tramp the' Kirk B 'Real rust bucket & me the only white man aboard . But I help save her grounding in a hurricane so the captain figured I was all right . Then I crewed as fireman Brisbane River to Singapore on the old ex Corvette ' Akuna'' Ex HMAS Gladstone' other than my experience runs to a couple of old Scows and singing off key sea shanties ! Oh I did nail a few logs together & paddle up from the Tisitica River to Beaver Cove off Vancouver Island floated so low I was practicly sat in the water . Gun boat too (well A 50 Cal Flint Rifle at least ) Cheers Rudyard

PS I thought the above was a PM but dosnt matter no secrets

Latest posts

Back