• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prepping a barrel with exterior rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So acquired a TC Renegade in a trade. The bore is great, but exterior not so much. I started to draw file and sanded with 220 grit. Plan on using Doc Hawken's rust blueing. My progress in photo so far. I need to block sand some more. I still see some fine scratches. Advice appreciated.
Adam

Attachments

• IMG20240118120532.jpg
    IMG20240118120532.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 6
I would first try rust bluing it as it sits, then rub it back for that well used look. If you don’t care for the look, draw file it back for that factory fresh finish.

I’d be more concerned about the condition of the bore. You say it is great, but how did you check it? I would confirm condition with a borescope before putting to much into the exterior. I don’t often find neglected muzzleloaders with a bore in better shape than their exterior.

I am not trying for a factory finish. If it looks beat up ok with me. I just put a note scope down the bore. I did not see any rust or pitting, just needs a little cleaning. I would not have traded if the bore was toast like the other barrel I had.

I cannot recall the price of my Teslong borescope, but it has been worth every penny.
Plugs into your computer with one of those USB thingies; renders great views. The light is adjustable in brightness, and I believe it is slim enough to pass through a .22 cal barrel, provided it is not bent at a sharp right angle.

If you are going to mess with long hollow tubes, a borescope is a tremendous asset.

Latest posts

Back