• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aiming with one or both eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many here aim their iron sight rifles with both eyes open? I am curious if it works well for people. I have better vision in my non dominant left Eye than my right which has gotten worse over the years, and I shoot right handed. I’m Thinking this may be the ticket for making those 40-50 yard headshots on tree rats like I used to. I hate the though of wearing glasses so hopefully this will do the trick

Well, you won't be looking down your sights with your left eye, and your left eye will will overpower your right eye that is looking down the sights, if your right eye doesn't see well anymore.

I can shoot a rifle with both eyes open, but I'm still using my right eye to aim. The left eye is for peripheral vision. I cannot shoot a pistol with both eyes. Some claim to be able to...

Sounds like you need to get glasses, or learn to shoot left handed.

Last edited:
Both open here. It's especially effective for long range where holdover is needed, my left eye can see the target that otherwise would be blocked by the barrel.

I’m ambidextrous. Used to shoot left handed. Tiring of searching for left handed sidelock guns, I just trained myself to shoot right handed. I was told to shoot with both eyes open, as it you can get a shot off faster, with less “wobble “ get a pellet rifle and a million pellets, and practice every chance you get. You will get to be a great shot.

Oh yes, on your shooting glasses, and you should be wearing them, make a blinder to put on the lens so you can keep both eyes open , but one eye is blocked.

How many here aim their iron sight rifles with both eyes open? I am curious if it works well for people. I have better vision in my non dominant left Eye than my right which has gotten worse over the years, and I shoot right handed. I’m Thinking this may be the ticket for making those 40-50 yard headshots on tree rats like I used to. I hate the though of wearing glasses so hopefully this will do the trick
I shoot with both eyes closed! 😂 I have a better chance of hitting something by luck, than by aiming.

Both open here. It's especially effective for long range where holdover is needed, my left eye can see the target that otherwise would be blocked by the barrel.

This is sometimes referred to as “ghosting” because it gives the illusion that your sights and barrel are totally visible yet see through at the same time. as far as I can see it should be very effective for long range shooting with irons. I’m going to test it out at the range and see if it helps clear things up a bit

I read an article in some gun magazine where the expert said if you didn't shoot with both eyes open you would be a total failure as a shooter. A couple of articles later another expert was shown sighting through his scope at some far off game animal with his off eye tightly shut. Don't pay too much attention to what people tell you and just do what works.

Right eye closed for me with rifles and pistols, it might not be the best way but it's how I've always done it. I recently tried with both eyes open and it didn't go well...
I learned as a kid to keep both open with a shotgun, It took a while to get it down, but once you get it, you're set. As mentioned by rangefogger above, it gives you a complete picture all around, with a slightly more solid barrel/sight outline presented by your dominate eye. Now, for those with cross-dominate eye's, I think this would not work too well at all.

I have always ( since age 7 ) shot with both eyes open. Nobody ever suggested it to me, it just came naturally. I am right-hand/right eye dominant, fortunately.
The wider field of view is a big safety advantage, especially when shooting in close proximity to livestock that is often moving and milling around.

Back