• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

acetone pre shoot swab?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know of nything adverse, but like Stumpy said, why chance at the least ruining a stock finish. Rubbing alchohol is a lot cheaper.
Mark

newtewsmoke said:
any ill effects to using acetone or some other type of fast evap. paint thinner as a pre-shoot barrel cleaner instead of alcohol? Thanks Scott

I would shy away from acetone. It is a solvent, so it will ruin your stock finish. Also, I wouldn't wear synthetic clothing while using it.

Plus its highly flammable...I have acetone in the garage but only open the can to use it for the most unique situation requiring it.

Otherwise, 91% alcohol on a patch does great, as does an individual sealed foil pack I have with me when out hunting...not for wiping the bore, but for cleaning up the lock after shooting a deer, etc.

I don't know of any ill effects on steel. How good a cleaner can only be determined by trying. Powerful solvent, I use it in my shop for stabilizing wood. Do not get on finish or other non-steel parts.

I don't use acetone on my guns but I hope that those of you that do, use rubber gloves when using it. In another lifetime I spent a lot of time in boatyards where acetone is used in striping and cleaning gelcoat wax from boat hulls, decks, etc. It is an excellent solvent for preparing fiberglass prior to painting.
Acetone can enter a persons blood stream though the skin very easily if not wearing protection and has been known to cause kidney failure.
It's tough stuff.

Side Effects of Acetone

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html

I have used acetone alot to clean different kinds of metal, with no ill effects. But like others have said, one drip on the wood and you got a bad spot to deal with.

That stuff is really bad if it soaks into your skin. Somebody mentioned rubber gloves, which was the only way I ever came into contact with it. Bad fumes too. Since alcohol does just as well, and it's non-harmful, well, as they say, you do the math. :grin: Bill

roundball said:
Side Effects of Acetone

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html

Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.
From the article:
These reports are not considered relevant to people exposed to acetone at work.

I use Zippo lighter fluid, it is a great de-greaser for that purpose.
It evaporates quickly too, but I still run a dry patch after the zippo de-greasing wipe.
Lighter fluid comes in a nice can with a squirt spout to easily control how much fluid gets dispensed.

Acetone works great on removing oils from bores, wood finishes etc..Alcohol doesn't effect the wood finishes as much! :idunno:

Greenjoytj said:
I use Zippo lighter fluid, it is a great de-greaser for that purpose.
It evaporates quickly too, but I still run a dry patch after the zippo de-greasing wipe.
Lighter fluid comes in a nice can with a squirt spout to easily control how much fluid gets dispensed.

Or a can of naptha from the paint store,,works good for getting waxy buildup out of the bore also, (jeez, sounds like some kind of furniture polish commercial). Acetone is the best, but as noted, it has its dangers,,,I like denatured alchohol for most of my uses.

newtewsmoke said:
any ill effects to using acetone or some other type of fast evap. paint thinner as a pre-shoot barrel cleaner instead of alcohol? Thanks Scott

I definately would not use acetone if I hade one of those plastic stocked :barf: rifles.

There are better uses for acetone. Not on MY rifles! Thank you!

You guys scare the Hell out of me. Reminds me of
the guy who lights the match to look to see how
much gas he has left in the tank :youcrazy:

I would not use acetone on my gun. :nono: The danger is not to you because acetone is relatively non-toxic as long as you don't drink it. Heck it is used in fingernail polish remover and as a solvent for many paints and finishes. It is very flammable, though. No, the danger is to the finish on your stock. It can really do a number on your stock if you get any on it. The best thing is to go to your local paint store and buy a can of denatured alcohol. Works great as a degreaser and won't damage your stock. It really cuts the crud in your bore, too. :thumbsup:

flinch said:
Why not just wipe with a dry flannel patch? flinch
That'll do the bore but doesn't get the flame path through the touch-hole or nipple, or a patent-breech chamber. The question is then, is your preservation technique/material such that this is a consideration?

Regards,
Joel

Latest posts

Back