• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to see your thoughts on using baby wipes to swab out your barrel after shooting? they are soft, pre-moistened, usually contain a mild soap and some alcohol. Also easy to carry.

I moisten my patches with NO. 13 cleaner, so its always soft and one shot pushing the last shots debris out the barrel.
Only take a 10 minutes when I get home to finish the job.

After shooting clean up, or between shots on the range? Swabbing after every few shots they should be fine, but keep in mind that most soaps cut grease or oil and may have some effect on your next lubed patch. I would avoid using anything that would leave behind soap in a final cleaning, as that would promote rust in the bore.

Like Johnny, I use no.13 or similar on my patches at the bench. A few premoistened are easy to carry.

I just use some moose milk in a spray bottle for the occasional patch during shooting and for actual cleaning. I tried the medical alcohol swabs for the between shots, but found they just pushed the fouling down and blocked my flash hole. As long as I don't make the patch to wet, just moist, the moose milk keeps loading easy and doesn't clog the flash hole.

I guess I can't come up with any reason it wouldn't work. The thing I puzzle over is why people obsess over cleaning in the field or the range. I just wait until I get home, then get the bucket of hot water and Murphy's Oil Soap out. If I ever plan to be out for a few days at a time, maybe then I will re-think things.

I actually enjoy cleaning in the field. I shoot on my own land so I don't have to worry about other people being around and it has just become part of the experience for me. I don't think it would be as much fun doing that at a shooting range.

My "range" is usually the yard shooting off the back porch. I don't mind cleaning, but I find it easier when I have all my stuff in a stuff box and a ready supply of hot water on hand. Somehow I could see myself dropping items into the grass and never finding them again.

Latest posts

Back