• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy and follow through

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankfannin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read on this forum and many other sites about the importance of concentrating on the front sight and follow through after the shot breaks. What I'm having trouble with is the follow through part. I do focus on my front sight and sight alignment BUT when the shot breaks, without fail, my front sight jumps totally off the target. There's no way that I can hold that front sight on the target for 3 seconds or even one fraction of a second due to recoil. What do people mean when they say "follow through"? Bring the sights back on to the target? What would that accomplish. Am I doing something wrong? Should the barrel/front sight remain dead on my point of aim after the shot breaks? I can't see how that could happen. Confused here.

You are going to get recoil, no way around that. You just hold it steady as you can. Don't move it on your own after to shoot. Basically when you move it on your own, you are anticipating the shot and you move the gun prematurely.

Mooman76 said:
You are going to get recoil, no way around that. You just hold it steady as you can. Don't move it on your own after to shoot. Basically when you move it on your own, you are anticipating the shot and you move the gun prematurely.

That's correct, recoil will move your site picture, the tough part is trying not to anticipate the shot or recoil and move before or as the shot is taken or as trigger is pulled.

I think the phrase, "follow thru" is to convoy to the shooter that he/she must not lessen his/her concentration or move the gun until after the shot has fired.
How long? At least a second.

Yes, the gun will move because of recoil but this movement (with the same load) will always be the same so it has been accounted for during the "sighting in" process.

What is not taken into account is some movement caused by the shooter just before the shot fires, while the shot is being fired or shortly after the shot is fired.

Any movement caused by the shooter during this critical period will cause inaccuracy.

With modern cartridge guns the speed of the shot often allows the shooter to develop bad habits like moving just after the bullet has left the barrel.

With the slower ignition speed of a percussion or the MUCH slower speed of a flintlock this movement will almost always cause a miss on the target.

All of this is difficult to convey to a new muzzleloader shooter so it's just easier to say,
"Be sure to follow thru on every shot." :)

Mooman76 said:

Cost me a 3 point at 50 yds. I pulled the trigger about the same time I raised up to see over/through the smoke. To remove the gun from the list of excuses I went to camp, cleaned it, loaded and centered a chew can at 80 yards. IT WAS MEEE :redface:

When I was learning to shoot pistols one of the better shooters told me to "slow down" and concentrate on my follow through.

He said to slow down and do not leave the line as quick as I was doing after the pistol went off, does help.

Thanks to all. I think I've got it. Hold and squeeze without any movement and then try to hold through the recoil.

Greyhawk45 said:
Thanks to all. I think I've got it. Hold and squeeze without any movement and then try to hold through the recoil.
I find that learning to CALL YOUR SHOT, e.g., a little left, tad high, oops - threw that one out to the right, etc., is the BEST and fastest way to learn a correct follow thru!

When you first start out, use binoculars or a spotting scope and also plot each shot vs. where YOU called it. With repetition and practice, you will soon be calling your shots w/ consistent regularity and be a much better shooter to boot!

FWIW I added a good 10-points to my high power scores after I started shooting flintlocks, that I feel directly derives from the necessity to follow through the shot. My Dad use to say "Hold through the shot kid, you have a lot of 'barrel time' w/ those slower velocities ... "

Have fun and please report back here and let us know how all of this works out for you, OK?

"Follow through" is you continuing to do what you were doing before the instant of the shot. Whether that's maintaining a lead with a moving shot or being immobile for a stationary one. You can't help but absorb recoil. What you DON't want is to add anything additional into the event.

Don't jerk, flinch, twist your hand, etc.

That's right. I always tell my new shooters to envision holding their position until they've "felt" the bullet go through the backstop. to a newb, a 3-second follow through is interminably long.

Back