• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aboveground firepits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostrifle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone got information/photos on above ground firepits(NOT braziers)for cooking?
I'm trying to set up a camp, and am concerned about times when no ground fires or dug-in firepits are allowed.
I would prefer that it not be hanging from a tripod.

I have seen two different above ground campfire setups in my area. The first one is made from a farm disk. They take one of the concave disks and weld 3 legs on it to keep it off the ground. The center hole is also plugged. You can also weld nuts on the bottom and just screw the pipe legs into them. The second example is a small open top wood stove with 4 legs. It was about 24" long by 14" wide. People use it for outdoor cooking. It has a removable grill and it also has a top that can be placed on it to snuff out the fire quickly. This makes for more of a contained fire and less wood needed. Hope this helps.

I had one made by a friend who is a welder... He cut a circle in some heavey metal and welded a two inch high rim on it... I just slip it in a heavy plastic bag for transport, and when I want to put up a fire, I select some rocks on which to settle that rig... Often I place rocks around it to conceal the iron rim.... works pretty cool...

I have seen people use removable steel drum lids, the type that close with a levering band around the rim. i don't know where they got them, but they are probably cheap!
Not very period correct of course, but functional.

Those sound ingenious, but arn't they a bit period incorrect if your doing a event? Not trying to be a stitch Nazi just wondering how they fit in? I know the braziers are correct from the revolution on, but whats the other options?

The other options, if you happen to be in an area where open fires are prohibited, are: cold camp or cold camp.

Cheers, Bill

P.P.
If your set up is close to the ground, then using some larger rocks around the rim should make it look OK. We all love to be as P.C. as possible, but sometimes we have to sacrifice P.C. so we can be legal. Would I prefer to have a real bear claw strand around my neck, sure; but not if it means having legal issues.
mrbortlein

I have an above ground fire pit, that I really like. Many state parks where some events are held are getting stricter about or plain don't allow any digging...period! The one I have I got from this guy and well made.

http//www.strinztipi.com

There is a style of stove that is making the rounds of civ war reenacting called a Hope stove-looks like the Virginia(confederate) sides are sloped and has a smoke stack on one end. you just build your fire on the ground and drop the stove over the top.

Back