• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rubbing magnesium on frizzen ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumped into a fellow flintlock hunter this season and as we talked he mentioned that he rubs his frizzen with magnesium with one of those fire starter sold at camping supply stores. He claims it gives him an increased shower of hot sparks for 5 shots or so and said it was just for extra "insurance" while hunting . Now I agree there is no substitute for a sharp flint and hard frizzen on a tuned lock, but it did peak my interest. I plan to try it out when I get some time, but wondered if anyone has heard of this or have tried it ? Just curious. -Thanks

So it's not "magnesium" in a fire starter at the camping store. Magnesium does not ignite from being struck.

It's likely a ferrocerium rod. Whether or not it works is a good question. I was unaware that rubbing it on a rough surface would deposit ferrocerium onto the surface that would remain in place. A flint edge could have enough of a scraping action to cause a spark.

Now IF you faced your frizzen with a layer of ferrocerium, and then placed a piece of metal with an edge in place of the flint, that would likely work, and rumor has it that the US Army musket drill team has had that done to their muskets....,

FERRO ROD.jpg

LD.

Magnesium does not spark.
I started to point that out a while ago but let it go. I've had to do Product Improvement Programs (recalls) on machines with magnesium castings years ago that involved carefully cutting/grinding the metal. Had there not been warnings and special items to do the job included in the kits I would have thought I was working on aluminum.

I don't know if it works but can see the theory,I don't think the magnesium is sparking,my thoughts are,if frizzen is roughish and magnesium bar soft enough would some magnesium get caught in scrape marks then when metal sparks it also ignite the magnesium for a hoter spark ?? I don't know but to me the theory makes a little sense.. I'm kinda heavy in the wobbly pop tonigjt so my IQ might be touch lower then usual 😁🤔

It was improved, they are call modern firearms. No need to have a open mind just get a good lock and good sharp flints is all you need.
There is an improvement of the original 1853 percussion Sharps where the inventor was able to use unmentionable powder and 209 primers. He currently is getting hassle from the ATF bringing it to market.

So, not all improvements are in the realm of unmentionables.

I had thought about using a fire starter stick on a flintlock. But I never worked out the details. It would probably work better with a wheel lock.

Great input, never heard of it before and thought I'd get some solid info. here. Appreciate all the replies.

I started to point that out a while ago but let it go. I've had to do Product Improvement Programs (recalls) on machines with magnesium castings years ago that involved carefully cutting/grinding the metal. Had there not been warnings and special items to do the job included in the kits I would have thought I was working on aluminum.
Used to bust up old lawn boy mowers for the campfire

Bumped into a fellow flintlock hunter this season and as we talked he mentioned that he rubs his frizzen with magnesium with one of those fire starter sold at camping supply stores. He claims it gives him an increased shower of hot sparks for 5 shots or so and said it was just for extra "insurance" while hunting . Now I agree there is no substitute for a sharp flint and hard frizzen on a tuned lock, but it did peak my interest. I plan to try it out when I get some time, but wondered if anyone has heard of this or have tried it ? Just curious. -Thanks
this appears to be a solution in desperate search of a problem.

if doing this 'floats your stick,' well far be it from me to tell you not to do it, but it seems like a bunch of unnecessary steps.

I fear your friend suffers from a severe feces compaction. If you want something to really spark, face the frizzen with some titanium.
Tighten your seatbelt waksupi! I asked about titanium for soling a frizzen not so long ago and from the reaction you would think that I was advocating selling one’s firstborn for medical experiments. However, if you have any experience of soling a frizzen with titanium I, for one, would like to hear of it.

Tighten your seatbelt waksupi! I asked about titanium for soling a frizzen not so long ago and from the reaction you would think that I was advocating selling one’s firstborn for medical experiments. However, if you have any experience of soling a frizzen with titanium I, for one, would like to hear of it.
I've never faced a frizzen with it, but do have a piece I have used for a striker. Pretty impressive.

Latest posts

Back