• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A touch of rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotspark

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Apparently I'm a bad flint owner. Haven't shot for a while and had a look at it today and saw it. It's on the face of the frizzen, A little on the hammer, and some dots on the barrel.I thought I cleaned it up well but obviously not.I didn't think there was anything you put on the frizzen to prevent this, am I wrong? I don't think I touched the frizzen to get oil on it from my finger,I ran a cloth across it to clean it, I guess I must have touched it and not known it. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

You can probably just hit the frizzen face with sand paper to clean it up. I use an old shaving brush with Barricade squirted on it, brush all metal parts including the frizzen, just wipe it off the night before or the day you plan on using it.

Yupper, been working great for me since I found one as a kid and a light bulb went off. Been using it to protect my guns with something ever since. :thumbsup:

The real secret to keeping the exterior and bore of a muzzleloader free of rust is persistence of cleaning. My dad tries to clean his gun once after he shoots then wants to let it sit for a couple weeks without checking it. What I do is clean it totally after shooting. Then the next day I check the bore and may have to run some wet patches down then dry and oil it again. And in the summer humidity every once in a while wipe the metal down with an oiled cloth.

Swampy- 'you da man...' gotta put that old beat up shaving brush (which i was actually meaning to throw out) back into it's second service. thanks again!!

Guilty as charged, that is what I did. cleaned it put it away and never looked at it. Lesson learned, thanks. I'll be giving the shaving brush a go I like that, thankya there swampy. got some 0000 steel wool to get what little spots there are on the bottom of the barrel and lock. I'll be sure to keep her oiled from now on, but not too much! :nono:

IT just go to show what you can pick up :bow:
I must remember that one. :hatsoff:

MSW said:
Swampy- 'you da man...' gotta put that old beat up shaving brush (which i was actually meaning to throw out) back into it's second service. thanks again!!

Yep, you'll find it gets in all the hard to reach spots, does a better job than an oiled cloth.

As far as cleaning goes, I always clean and lube my gun after a shoot. Then do it all over again the next day just for good measure. :thumbsup:

All clean w/no sign of rust used bore butter on a rag to get the spots of rust off the barrel, needed 0000w/ballistol for under the jaws for the fowling not removed ( my fault).Light coat of ballistol all around and all is well again. :thumbsup: I will be much more vigilant in the care of her from now on...damn newbies,what are ya gonna do?

Back