• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New flintlock arrived: Signs of frizzen rebound?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjsoccer3

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I received a flintlock back from a known popular builder after an 18 months wait or so. At the front of the jaws there was an ever slight polish that was small enough to over look on arrival, after a couple dry fires it’s slightly more pronounced.

After every dry fire, the frizzen opens and stays open as expected. When slowly dropping the cock / hammer, I don’t see any window of opportunity for the jaws to touch the frizzen. I’ve attached a photo below of the jaws / flint at the beginning and end of the frizzen.

I’m guessing (since this is a first flintlock) that this is not from the jaws striking the frizzen or from a too short of a flint, but rather frizzen bounce. The lock is made by Chambers, so I don’t think those typically give issue.

When I close the frizzen with a dropped hammer / cock, it appears to exactly coincide with where the polishing / peening is taking place on the top jaw. I suspect the frizzen is bouncing back and then off of the jaw resting in an open position as can commonly be seen in various online slowmo firing videos.

Is this supposed to be happening and what should I do? I’ve kindly inquired of the builder. I haven’t got much a clear answer, so trying to learn / see here what next steps might ought to be.

FD397170-193B-430D-994F-2FFC84CC6682.jpeg
774F22E6-662B-4231-95AC-18F6E964A450.jpeg

CA84F155-5A9B-472C-863F-0DC690364BBA.jpeg

B94CC9C9-D01B-4E12-A30F-20673A23EBB9.jpeg

Do you have a hole in the leather with the flint pushed back into the jaw screw. If not do so. Flint should be not touching the frizzen when Cock is at rest. Looking at pics, looks like the flint is hitting hard n bouncing back. Should be flint scraps down the Frizzen

Hey everyone,

I received a flintlock back from a known popular builder after an 18 months wait or so. At the front of the jaws there was an ever slight polish that was small enough to over look on arrival, after a couple dry fires it’s slightly more pronounced.

After every dry fire, the frizzen opens and stays open as expected. When slowly dropping the cock / hammer, I don’t see any window of opportunity for the jaws to touch the frizzen. I’ve attached a photo below of the jaws / flint at the beginning and end of the frizzen.

I’m guessing (since this is a first flintlock) that this is not from the jaws striking the frizzen or from a too short of a flint, but rather frizzen bounce. The lock is made by Chambers, so I don’t think those typically give issue.

When I close the frizzen with a dropped hammer / cock, it appears to exactly coincide with where the polishing / peening is taking place on the top jaw. I suspect the frizzen is bouncing back and then off of the jaw resting in an open position as can commonly be seen in various online slowmo firing videos.

Is this supposed to be happening and what should I do? I’ve kindly inquired of the builder. I haven’t got much a clear answer, so trying to learn / see here what next steps might ought to be.

View attachment 202328View attachment 202329
View attachment 202330
View attachment 202331
You may be right about the frizzen bounce. And the top jaw shouldn’t be quite so close to the frizzen face either. I would definitely contact the builder for an explanation and help.

Your flint is too short: move it out a bit so the edge of the flint is almost touching the pan, like this. That way you don't rely solely upon inertia or gravity to bring sparks to your priming charge.

Attachments

• 20230221_203229.jpg
    20230221_203229.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Don't see any grease on the frizzen lobe. It will snap open , properly , with some lube. Grease the inside moving parts of the lock mechanism. I'm not sure why folks are prone to ignore the most basic duties of lock maintenance.
Grease inside a lock will slow it down.

Telling folks to " Grease the Lock " is a bad idea. unless you're a good mechanic , and knows the appropriate place to put a tiny amount of grease , bad advice. My apologies.
I have a neighbor with a 30 yr.old custom flint rifle. It amazes me how badly he treats the rifle , and how well it still works. About every two months , he brings the gun to me for service on the lock. No matter what or how I tell him to lubricate his lock , he can't seam to grasp the concept of any kind of lubrication. LOL

Thanks for helping this newbie (myself). The flint is pretty smaller. Here’s is a 7/8th beside it.
DFF2E845-2269-4E18-A7B5-A800D0217E38.jpeg

Once I placed it in the lock, I put lipstick on the top jaw checking for contact, I didn’t see any get removed.

0026A094-E8D5-462C-9485-7737F266BCBE.jpeg

On the opposite end, I then put lipstick on the bottom of the frizzen. None showed up on the jaws after firing. Seems like a larger flint helps here.

Similarly seems to get longer deeper streaks across the frizzen. Digs in a little deeper in the beginning.

FB9122B8-AAF9-45A1-994C-28A3D188A334.jpeg

This look better? I’m nearing 95% sure this larger flint may have fixed the problem. I’m just a hair unsure since I couldn’t trace out how it could have possibly contacted on the downstroke / dropping of hammer.

This flint also protrudes enough where the flint itself would catch the frizzen bounce. The flint is at least masking the frizzen bounce if it was that.

Should I sweat it about the markings on the jaw? Maybe I can touch it up with one earcleaner’s worth of Birchwood Casey plumb brown and some heat. Feels like one of those 1911 reassembly scratches (hah).

STOP..........No heat on the frizzen.!!!! Frizzens are heat treated , so they will spark properly If you want to darken the shiny frizzen , use Birchwood-Casey cold bluing liquid. It is selenium dioxide ,and darkens steel , brass , etc. w/o heat.

Back