• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a little ffffg thing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use 3f for the primer I carry a large horn holds about 1 1/2 lbs.For a primer I use what most call a day horn. I have gone multiple days shooting without a problem. Just another look/idea.

While I normally hunt with 4f as my priming charge. I have used the 3f on the range and I have not really noticed a difference as long as I use the same amount of each powder.

Kopfjaeger said:
Rifleman1776 said:
smoothshooter said:
Why is a glass container bad for BP?

Glass can break and spill powder in unwanted locations. And broken glass can cut you.

Also the glass container can act like a magnifying glass if the glass container is left in the direct sunlight setting off the blackpowder inside.
WOW I want to see that happen

Ask at your local medical lab for a urine sample bottle. They have a screw on cap that liquid tight and air tight.

I use these sample containers for bulk storing pre-lubed patches and moist wiping patches for between shot wipes.

"And to make his men fight better
Gave them to drink, gunpowder
Mixed with brandy, Oh!"

The Constitution and the Guerriere Folk song to the tune of A Little Drop of Brandy O!

Greenjoytj said:
Ask at your local medical lab for a urine sample bottle. They have a screw on cap that liquid tight and air tight.

I use these sample containers for bulk storing pre-lubed patches and moist wiping patches for between shot wipes.

Whenever I go to the Dr. Office, I develop 'weak bladder syndrome". It usually hits me immediately upon exiting the exam room. The restroom is off the waiting room, so I stop by on the way out the door - that's where they keep those collection containers. They work great for patches, smaller caliber RB's, and also for some of the vintage pocket watches and parts I work on. They will even fit a cap & ball revolver cylinder.

Seems a shame to just pee in them ...

Alden said:
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4971-251-004&Category_Code=800-400-000

I have one of these pan primers that I've had since before I owned any of my own flintlocks, seems to me whoever had it before tossed it out when a spring malfunctioned and allowed all his 4F to drain out while he had it on a thong around his neck. Cleaned up spring and plunger and it works like new. 230 gr. capacity seems a little generous for mine, but the Crazy Crow version may be bigger.

While it works just fine, and dispenses the perfect amount of 4F for all my rifles, it doesn't seem to hold enough for a full weekend of shooting, and only works with 4F - 3F won't feed.

I've seen the4 same dispenser tip available (at Track of the Wolf?) intended to use as a horn spout - this would be my choice to use to build a priming horn if I felt it necessary to have one to use 4F all the time.

Doubt you can find them anymore, but I carry extra priming powder in my range box in a 35mm film canister. When hunting I also carry a couple film canisters with pre measured loads. Pretty much endangered items now, so I safeguard the dozen or so I have.

By using any type of plastic as "powder horn", any of you guys worried about static electricity?

AZbpBurner said:
Alden said:
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4971-251-004&Category_Code=800-400-000

...230 gr. capacity seems a little generous for mine, but the Crazy Crow version may be bigger.

Yes, that was the point -- he wanted larger capacity and 23o grains seems pretty significant to me. Sounds about 54 primes.

"By using any type of plastic as "powder horn", any of you guys worried about static electricity?"

I think all the currently manufactured BP now comes in plastic 'cans', so obviously not an issue.

I have a couple of the plastic priming flasks, shaped like a small horn, they have a push fit base rather than threaded. I went to this type after witnessing a small brass priming flask (with screw on base) explode on the firing line at a MLAIC World Championships.....blood everywhere!!
I carry extra priming powder in a 35mm film canister kept in my range bag, just in case my priming flask runs dry while at the range. Have rarely had to use it, maybe topped it up a couple of times in last 10-12 years! Powder stays fresh & dry though.

Just about any small container that you can cap up will do the job. Contrary to popular opinion, static electricity is not an issue with black powder so you can use a plastic pill bottle if you wish. However, if you run out of ffffG powder you can use the powder in your horn. fffG will work just fine and you won't be able to tell any difference in the ignition time. Heck, even ffG will work and you still won't be able to tell any difference in the ignition time.

arquebus said:
I think all the currently manufactured BP now comes in plastic 'cans', so obviously not an issue.

You may thonk that but that is wrong. There are different kinds of "plastics" and some are, indeed, static free such as the ones used to make blackpowder products.

Since several experiments have shown that static electricity has no effect on black powder, the question of plastic containers generating static electricity is a moot one regardless of the type of plastic used to manufacture the container.

Do a Google search for images of a turret top bottle.
I use a small one that use to hold a few ounces of deer urine its now repurposed for extra 4fg prime storage, a turret top bottle works great for prime.

Sean, I use a couple of the very small pistol flasks from TOW just like nchawkeye with complete satisfaction.

Sorry for chiming in late. Rather than a urine bottle, I asked for & got a new blood draw vial.
I don't know, which is creepier, a pee bottle or a blood vial? lol

Back