• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A good lock will...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
They say a good lock will work upside down. :grin:

Well even a “poor” lock will, too! :wink:

IMG_4882_3_zpsa91b19e3.jpg

Now, do you really think it matters a great deal where you put the prime? Really? :hmm:

Canon XTi 100mm Macro lens f2.8, ISO 200, AV f8, TV 2 sec, meter mdoe partial.

ebiggs,
Good demo of what you can do with a digital still. The 2 second shutter works fine. I have gone as long as 4 seconds with no problems.

The up side down flint may actually be faster than right side up.(I haven't timed one yet.) In normal ignition time the prime has enough time to only fall 1-2 mmm. The prime is falling into the sparks that are driven upward. Now if you use cannon grade powder, the ignition slows enough that some chunks of prime have fallen through the sparks without being lit. (I think the 2009 videos have one of these near the bottom. We also had to move the chunks of prime around to close the frizzen.)

Regards,
Pletch

A few years back I shot an "underhammer" flint that a builder had brought to the new Frontiersman Rendezvous. It fired every time while several of us tried it. The main problem was flash burns on the frock sleave.(Or arm if you did not have a frock on ). :idunno:

I have plans for an underhammer flint pistol. I can see that a long gun could leave you with burn marks.
Regards,
Pletch

I've seen photos of hand guns with upsidedown locks,of corse the were mached pairs so were called dullers,I dont think I've ever seen this on a long gun. The burned sleave might be a problem;ask sam colt about his revolving rifle :idunno:

tenngun said:
I've seen photos of hand guns with upsidedown locks,of corse the were mached pairs so were called dullers,I dont think I've ever seen this on a long gun. The burned sleave might be a problem;ask sam colt about his revolving rifle :idunno:
There was a shooter with a heavy bench gun at Friendship with a flint under hammer lock.

Regards,
Pletch

Back