• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Fouling Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent - I am going to look into them, thanks!
If you have a shooting club(non primitive) you might try there. I belong to Canal Fulton club and they show up every so often. We shoot metallic sights only. Lots of guys shoot peep sights so they don't need one. Alot of primative clubs will let you use one in competition some don't. I've found that won't are run by people who don't want you to be competitive with them. Being able to see your sights should not be discriminated against. My soap box is starting to sink in the mud so I'd better get down from it before I fall.

Look for the Merit Corporation in Schenectady, NY. Send him an email. When I did, he called me right back. He is great to talk to and will get your item to you in the next mail. I did the same two months ago, and it really sharpens up those sights!

Merit Corporation
P.O. Box 9044
Schenectady, NY 12309
[email protected]

ADK Bigfoot

Look for the Merit Corporation in Schenectady, NY. Send him an email. When I did, he called me right back. He is great to talk to and will get your item to you in the next mail. I did the same two months ago, and it really sharpens up those sights!

Merit Corporation
P.O. Box 9044
Schenectady, NY 12309
[email protected]

ADK Bigfoot
Thanks Bigfoot. I actually just bought one on Ebay!

Last edited:
If you have a shooting club(non primitive) you might try there. I belong to Canal Fulton club and they show up every so often. We shoot metallic sights only. Lots of guys shoot peep sights so they don't need one. Alot of primative clubs will let you use one in competition some don't. I've found that won't are run by people who don't want you to be competitive with them. Being able to see your sights should not be discriminated against. My soap box is starting to sink in the mud so I'd better get down from it before I fall.
I was in a gun/fishing club in Pennsylvania that had a great bunch of black powder shooters, many awesome target shooters. One guy had something on his eyeglasses that I didn't ask about. I think this is what he was using. I am looking forward to trying mine when it arrives in a week or so. It will be nice to have a good sight picture again.
I am not in a club now by the way. I just shoot out on my property.

I was in a gun/fishing club in Pennsylvania that had a great bunch of black powder shooters, many awesome target shooters. One guy had something on his eyeglasses that I didn't ask about. I think this is what he was using. I am looking forward to trying mine when it arrives in a week or so. It will be nice to have a good sight picture again.
I am not in a club now by the way. I just shoot out on my property.
To save you some problems. Adjust the position of the appature so your sights are centered in the opening from a normal firing position. Next adjust the opening to where you just see a gray ball in your sight picture then back it off a tiny bit. Voila! Youthful vision again. Also works for pistol shooting. Pick up a spare suction cup from merit when you get a chance.l have a piece of fishing line tied to mine (3 inches long) with a fishing snap on the other end. Hook the snap over the arm of your glasses. Saves you from losing it in the grass if it falls off. Wet the suction cup with your tongue to help it stick and keep your glasses clean for a good sight picture. Good Luck

To make a pinhole device use electrical tape. Poke a row of holes in the tap with a heated pin or needle. Trim the tap to make 1/4" strip. Stick the tape to your glasses horizontally. You have a row of pinholes. You now have a usable hole regardless of your shooting position. The tape with pinholes works the same as the fancy one you can buy.

Lubes, try MOS. Use is sloppy wet. You will be stunned at how good it works. Some other fancy big name lubes appear to be liquid soap.

To make a pinhole device use electrical tape. Poke a row of holes in the tap with a heated pin or needle. Trim the tap to make 1/4" strip. Stick the tape to your glasses horizontally. You have a row of pinholes. You now have a usable hole regardless of your shooting position. The tape with pinholes works the same as the fancy one you can buy.

Lubes, try MOS. Use is sloppy wet. You will be stunned at how good it works. Some other fancy big name lubes appear to be liquid soap.
Thank you! I’ve just read about the tape and pin-hole method. Always useful to know these tricks!
What’s MOS?

I’m another strong proponent for TOTW Mink Oil. My best consistency with accuracy without swabbing. Particular with cold weather hunting.
D5062FD8-E52D-483B-B893-0DCB49680336.jpeg

With regards to patch lube for shooting I have just tried the Mr Flintlock patch lube. It works great for target shooting as it never requires me to swab the bore between shots and loading pressure on the ramrod is consistent shot to shot. For hunting though I prefer a heavier lube like Mike Oil or Bore Butter or something similar because I like the fact it coats the bore and provides some protection against moisture while not drying out on the patch.

I don't use any shooting aids. I learned to shoot fuzzy sights. I was amazed how well that works. Our brain can adjust to anything with enough repetition.

Did you retrieve your patches? 65 grains of fffg is hot. My experience with spit is the patches burn up.

I found the cause for my flyers!
I had been using .440 round ball. Even with the thick denim patches the ball was sailing away at 50 yards. (At 25 yards it was doing really well, though).
Well, I found an old box of Speer .445 round balls I had from like 25 years ago in my shooting box so I used them. Dang if I was hitting my target now. I used cotton gaberdine patches (I couldn't short-start the .445 with the denim patch; too thick).
It was at the end of the afternoon and I only had time for 5 shots at 50 yards (using spit patch) and had to pack up for the day. But they were all in the black disk (3").
Now I have a renewed friendship with my Verner LR. I think when my Merit aperture thing and the pillow ticking come, I will be doing better.
(I have 6 new boxes of .440 cal round ball to sell soon!)
After I get this rifle down right, I will start on my newly re-stocked Lehigh with it's 30 year old barrel and mountings.

Latest posts

Back