• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Fouling Test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
65grs fffg in a ,45. Did you previously work up to this load in the rifle? If not I also recommend you work up the proper load for you rifle. There is plenty of info on the internet on load work up.

FYI: I use 65grs of fffg in my .54 rifle.

65grs fffg in a ,45. Did you previously work up to this load in the rifle? If not I also recommend you work up the proper load for you rifle. There is plenty of info on the internet on load work up.

FYI: I use 65grs of fffg in my .54 rifle.
Now that I know the correct ball size, I will work on the patch and tweak the powder loads. This was the grain load I have used in my two other .45's before so I am starting off with it.
I want to use this for my deer rifle, so I am hope to get up about 80ish grains.

A .45 with your .65 grain load is plenty to kill any deer. A 50 gr load will kill a deer.60 grains in a .62 cal will kill a deer . See how your .65 grain load groups at 100yds. If it looks good go with it. Three inch group works. Smaller is better. Practicing is even better yet

Just a reminder.
It is against the forum rules to make any offer to sell, trade or buy items outside the Classified Ad sections of the forum.

I had the chance to try out my new .445 balls and two different patch thicknesses- .015 and .018. Wow did I see a difference in two five shot groups at 50 yards with 65 grains. The .018 gave me much better groups of 2” with a couple in 10x. I used spit patch again. For me, a very rusty shooter recently back into the sport, I am feeling good about this rifle now and think with much more practice I will be getting better groups at greater distances. I wanna say that I appreciate everyone’s suggestions, a lot!

With molds for both .440" and .445" ball I've fired both. Surprisingly, for me, they loaded & shot exactly the same with only an average of about 15 fps between them. Accuracy was identical. Most of my deer were killed with an 80 grain charge in my .45 longrifle. But the longest one shot kill with a .45 on a deer was at 75 yards and the load was 65 grains of 3F.

With molds for both .440" and .445" ball I've fired both. Surprisingly, for me, they loaded & shot exactly the same with only an average of about 15 fps between them. Accuracy was identical. Most of my deer were killed with an 80 grain charge in my .45 longrifle. But the longest one shot kill with a .45 on a deer was at 75 yards and the load was 65 grains of 3F.
I would think that the case with mine as well. But the results show the gun has horrible accuracy over 30 yards with a .440 (even with heavy .020 patch) and 65 grains 3f. At 50 yards with .445 + 65 gr + .018 patch I am surprised at 1.5" groups (especially for not really shooting in 10+ years).

Back