• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A couple of new horns finished (pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGeraths

40 Cal.
Reaction score
All,

I thought I would post a few shots of a couple of horns that I finished up last night. The first one is in a classic F&I style, the seconds design is common around 1760-1790.

For some reason the new forum automatically shrinks the images so there seems to be some pixel issues with the pictures.

P1020300.JPG

P1020303.JPG

P1020302.JPG

P1020304.JPG

And the second...

P1020306.JPG

P1020311.JPG

P1020309.JPG

nice.i like the spirals on the throat of the first horn.they are very nice. :bow: i like simple horns most of the time.sometimes horns dont need all the fancy stuff that people do. :hatsoff: you do have atalent for making horns i will give you that :applause:

Awesome horns! Do you plan to scrimshaw them?

I always thought that the second one, with the butt-flap (or whatever it is called), would be more F&I style. But, what do I know.

Being plain in design or decoration has nothing to do with being F&I style. Richly decorated and carved horns were very common, even in the hands of the poor soldier, frontier farmer or longhunter.

Carved powder horns are folk art and were done in most cases by the owner of the horn, not purchased carved or otherwise decorated. Simple horns were around, but most were decorated and carved to some degree.

The first horn shown is F&I style in regards to the rear plug and iron staple. The strap tab on the second became popular near the end of the F&I war and remained common well past the Rev War.

I did not do any scrimshaw on these as they are less likely to sell that way. People are quite particular about what style and subjects are scrimed on a horn. This way the client can dictate what they want on the horn, or do it themselves.

i wsnt talking about the carving i was talking about the design and shape of the horn :youcrazy:

Hey One Feather, If ya get a chance to get your paws on a book entitled,"The Engraved Powder Horn" by Jim Dressler I would highly recommend it. It has all color pictures of original horns and many of them are F&I and previous. It's an outstanding book that allows you to see these horns from several different sides And there in color. THE very best book out on period horns. :winking:
Don

Nice work!!
I like the spiral,colours are nice too.simply and effective. :hatsoff:

Back