• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'64 Zoli Zouave Flash Hole Coning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
My Zoli Zouave has always had a problem with ignition. Fouling would clog the flash hole after two shots. And after swabbing, there would be a distinct delay in ignition. All of this was with #11 CCI Magnum primers.

This may have been covered before, but here is what looks like a good solution. Use a tapered Dremel bit to cone the flash hole. Thereby directing more flame into the chamber.

The rough marks can be cleaned up with a small dowel and lapping compound or a tapered Dremel stone. Or leave as is and clean the area well when done shooting.

I know I'm not the only person in muzzle loading land to have experienced this Zoli Zouave problem. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 0
Here's a shot after stoning the area and the Dremel stone used.

You'll need to reprofile the stone to so it a has a longer taper than the burr cutter. I put it in the Dremel, turned it on and ran the stone against my running pedestal grinder. Makes quick work of it.

When done, you can see a lead ball roll right up to that new chamfer.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    659.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    571.3 KB · Views: 0
All of my Zouaves in the past used a musket cap for ignition. Was the nipple changed to a #11 cap for convenience or out of necessity?
Changing back to a musket cap nipple might help with the ignition.

Over sixty years the mainspring has weakened. It was failing to set off musket caps. But would pop #11 caps with no trouble.

So I made four changes. I coned the flash hole. I preloaded the mainspring. I installed a musket nipple. And I switched from 1.5 Swiss to FFF Triple Seven.

Man, what a difference. It goes bang every single time and with zero delay in ignition. Groups tightened up considerably. And I didn't have to swab the barrel at all. 20 shots.

Now in the process of converting my Jukar .45 Kentucky to fire with musket caps. Just need to remove the shroud on the striking face of the hammer.

Love it when a plan comes together.

Over sixty years the mainspring has weakened. It was failing to set off musket caps. But would pop #11 caps with no trouble.

So I made four changes. I coned the flash hole. I preloaded the mainspring. I installed a musket nipple. And I switched from 1.5 Swiss to FFF Triple Seven.

Man, what a difference. It goes bang every single time and with zero delay in ignition. Groups tightened up considerably. And I didn't have to swab the barrel at all. 20 shots.

Now in the process of converting my Jukar .45 Kentucky to fire with musket caps. Just need to remove the shroud on the striking face of the hammer.

Love it when a plan comes together.

That makes sense then to have the back story in place. The musket caps are definitely thicker material than the #11s. I have an old Jukar .45
Kentucky that I've had since the 70's. People make fun of them but it was always very accurate for me. The musket cap nipple on your Jukar
should be very good. Please post the results of the conversion when you are finished with it.

Will do.

Jukar rifles are very accurate and reliable. People make fun of them because they're a bit crude. So what. That's what a basement and tinkering are for. Jukar Kentucky's are like Turkish Maus**s. The red headed stepchildren that clean up well.

Last edited:
Back