• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'62 Po-po?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...what a nice pistol. I think that's the one I would want, I see "grouse", "wabbit", and "coup-de-gras" written all over it. Do you shoot it? My brother had one of the "authentic Colt blackpowder series" 1860 Colts, but would not let anyone cock the hammer, and was reluctant to let anyone handle it.

Thanks. Yes, I can understand your brother. They are getting more and more valuable as time goes by. I don't shoot my Colt BP revolvers either. I have two Uberti INOX 1858 NAR's that I purchased as shooters. And, I just got a Uberti Walker a few months back. I've been buying BP guns and accoutrements for about 10 years now. Reading everything I could about them, in books, on forums, on the web. I planned on shooting them once I retired, which I did in May.
I haven't shot the Walker yet, but hope to soon.
IMG_1154%20-%20Version%202_zps3lg67jff.jpg
IMG_1153_zps688bs8mr.jpg
9AE14511-19B7-468F-963D-6612C86036B4_zpscmd3lwsg.jpg
IMG_0002%20-%20Version%202_zps9thciifw.jpg

Notice the gap between the trigger guard and frame on this revolver. Uberti dropped the ball on QC on this one. I guess I could have bitched about it and sent it back to Midway, but it is cosmetic, won't affect accuracy or function. As you know, that area of the frame is very thin on 1858.
IMG_0046%20-%20Version%202_zps0sr2yrol.jpg

My other Colt Signature Series Gen 2, Black Powder 1861 Navy revolver,
IMG_1439_zpsczrcwydl.jpg
with Pietta 1851 Reb Navy.

Right on, cool stuff. !! I retired two years ago, and am more busy than before. Being free baby-sitters for the grand kids doesn't help either. !! (but no complaints) I don't shoot my BP revolvers that much, but do carry them often when hunting, for grouse, wabbits, and general survival. My Remington Navy Uberti is my favorite. I got it from a guy, who got it from Uberti's daughter, back when she was the U.S. sales rep, as they were friends. It is laser accurate and has put grouse on the table for me.

DSC06690.JPG
There she is. Uberti's daughter gave this to my friend for free, and it sat new-in-box for about 20 years before he sold it to me.

I've been wanting a '62 police for a long time and would be satisfied with about any barrel length. My preference is for the 6.5" barrel. They're light little revolvers anyway and a bit longer barrel doesn't change that.

My second gen colt 62 police took some tinkering but it is a very reliable revolver now.

Took some metal off the inside arc of the hammer. Used spotting blue to take off just where it hit before it smacked the nipples. It is my opinion that even tho the hammer will peen the nipple a little sooner, it also stopped the small gap left there and the resultant cap suck.

Also it has a rather stiff main spring that i have toyed with lightening but do not want to mess with a good thing so "heavy" it will stay.

Also took the front sight off and soldered a half penny on and filed it to point of aim is now point of impact at 15 yards.

The smaller grip works well for my over large hands as this is just a scaled down dragoon grip ... different then either the 1851/52 or 1860 grip frames in profile.

All in all just a dandy revolver and i recommend it highly. These are indeed a light and handy revolver and should make a great trail gun to pack along. The price is good and i would say that is cheap enough to buy what is a bit of a fixer when compared to the fun and excellent quality's of the model 1862 police ... 5.5 inch is my barrel length.

Just seen my mistake above ... 51/52 should be 51/61.

Another thing i really like about my 62 is that when touching off a full 20 grains of 2F powder it feels like i am shooting a serious ... ok semi serious revolver unlike the 61 navy where recoil is totally non existent.

View attachment 610There she is. Uberti's daughter gave this to my friend for free, and it sat new-in-box for about 20 years before he sold it to me.

Rat, i am intrigued and have been for awhile now with the Remington navy. Is yours heavier then the Rem Army? Also is the barrel shorter then the Army?

I like the navy cal a lot and with the reduction of recoil i bet the Rem "58" would be a very fun revolver.

The knuckle smacking is the why of me selling all my Remington revolvers. With the 36 cal i wonder if it would make this aggravating thumping a nil deal. Yes/no?

I believe it is heavier, weighs 42.50 ounces, (loaded) which is only an ounce less than my 1860, with a 6" barrel. The barrel on mine is shorter, but I forget the exact length. It fits in my "one-holster-fits-all-6"-barreled-pistols" flap holster. For sure, recoil is light and sweet in my Navy. Don't think you'd find any knuckle-thumping with it. But it packs a good punch too. And of course, ultra-accurate. It's one of my favorite pistols, it's a grouse getter for sure. Used to carry it often when hunting, as it can do just about anything, except stop a charging grizz. :)

Wow...what a nice pistol. I think that's the one I would want, I see "grouse", "wabbit", and "coup-de-gras" written all over it. Do you shoot it? My brother had one of the "authentic Colt blackpowder series" 1860 Colts, but would not let anyone cock the hammer, and was reluctant to let anyone handle it.
No, I don't shoot it. Although, I may yet. They are getting to be very collectable. I have a Uberti Walker, and two 1858 RNA's, also Uberti's that are shooters. I have an 1861 Navy that is 2nd Gen Colt at well. CCH is very nice on it. I don't shoot it either. Just toooooo pretty! LOL

Just saw one of the fluted cylinder .36 pocket police guns in Midway ad for right about $300.00 on sale. Have a .44 Colt replica like that only big and it's a beauty! Next year maybe. Still have to shoot the ones I have yet. Sure is tempting me.

Smokey, I pinned on a badge in '94, retired last February. Never minded po-po, 5 oh, but some (many) things were much much worse.
I miss the job some days, but don't miss working nights at all. Its nice to see family on holidays instead of empty shops and streets.
Be Safe. Thank you for your service.

Smokey, I pinned on a badge in '94, retired last February. Never minded po-po, 5 oh, but some (many) things were much much worse.
I miss the job some days, but don't miss working nights at all. Its nice to see family on holidays instead of empty shops and streets.

Your service should also be thanked.

Your service should also be thanked.

Eterry, I can guarantee you’ve done more dangerous and under-appreciated work than I’ve ever done in my service. I won’t get political as I know that isn’t allowed here, but the bottom line is our nation’s law enforcement has gotten the short end of the stick in recent years, and it frankly sickens me. Rodwha speaks the truth, you and your fellow officers deserve much more gratitude than you get. THANK YOU.

Eterry, I can guarantee you’ve done more dangerous and under-appreciated work than I’ve ever done in my service. I won’t get political as I know that isn’t allowed here, but the bottom line is our nation’s law enforcement has gotten the short end of the stick in recent years, and it frankly sickens me. Rodwha speaks the truth, you and your fellow officers deserve much more gratitude than you get. THANK YOU.

It’s quite unfortunate that so many look upon our officers as the bad guy, and that’s not to say there aren’t any that are, but most certainly not as a whole.

I really love the little guns. I got mine used for a good price as it had the ratchet star buggered and would not hand up on one chamber. It is an early Dixie gun made by Pietta. Got the ratchet squared away and made a new front sight replacement for the one it came with. Some one else had cut a nice dovetail up front and fit a rather ugly sight that needed replacement.
Also reamed each chamber mouth out to .380 to better fit the barrel groove diameter.

A Practice of thanking soldiers both active and retired, for their service isa good practice but in view of the cloud the media has placed over the heads of our law enforcement people I also thank the few police I encounter for their service which is a whole heck of a lot more dangerous than my own service in Korea.

Dutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back