• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'62 Po-po?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the .36 police but I DONT LIKE the fact that they dont have a spring on the wedge and this can cause you to loose the wedge !!!!

scalper said:
I like the .36 police but I DONT LIKE the fact that they dont have a spring on the wedge and this can cause you to loose the wedge !!!!
Both of my Uberti 62's, Police & Navy, have a groove milled in the top of the wedge with a lip at the right hand end. This is a positive stop and they cannot come out without removing the screw. This actually works better than the spring on the wedge on all my other C&B revolvers.

Got an Uberti .36 pocket police with a 5.5 inch barrel - absolutely miserable gun. Lever would not stay up initially when shooting, but I solved that.

Initially the arbor and frame did not match up well either, but I fixed that.

The bigger issue is that, even with premium nipples and a tuning, it jams up due to cap fragments every 2d or 3d shot. The hammer tends to blow back and allow the cap fragments to blow back directly into the action. I've tried a total tear down; spring swaps (including a heavier main); cap rake; different caps; etc. No luck - still jams up maybe 40% of the time.

My full-sized Uberti Navy revolvers are gems, whereas the Pocket Police was a total lemon. It's a shame as well because the Pocket Police is a very attractive gun that fits the hand well for something so small.

I’m surprised the cap rake didn’t help. But I’ve also seen how Mike Beliveau has rounded the edges along the hammer safety notch feeling it’s what grabs the spent caps. He has a video where he shoots a notorious Colt model after fixing it and has no problems.

I’ve also read that one needs to work on the groove along the recoil shield, the channel that works spent caps out.

This is exactly why I'm deciding against the Police at this point in time.

Have been reading nothing but complaints saying they jam frequently from cap fragments, much more often than the full sized guns.

Now setting my sights (pun not intended) on the '51 London.

I love Mike's videos. He actually did a demo review of the 62 Pocket Police and it was jamming as well. Perhaps some are easier to fix than others, but I shoot my '51 and '61 Navies more than the Pocket Police certainly.

hawkeye2 said:
scalper said:
Both of my Uberti 62's, Police & Navy, have a groove milled in the top of the wedge with a lip at the right hand end. This is a positive stop and they cannot come out without removing the screw. This actually works better than the spring on the wedge on all my other C&B revolvers.

Neither of my 62s have a spring. My last sentence was referring to all my other Colt style revolvers in which the spring is far less effective than the stop on the 62s.

Since watching Mike's video, I have rounded the safety notches on all my Colts. Also use a sharpening stone to polish the hammer where it strikes the cap. Makes a big difference.

Guys I've bought a type of gun the likes of which shall not be named on this forum. :shocked2:

So my gun funds are gone! As soon as they replenish, think I'll get a London Navy instead of the '62 Police. Just too many reports on cap jams no matter what people do to them. No thanks!!

I have a '62 with a 5.5 inch tube. Lovely little gun, but it is almost impossible to fire 5 shots without a cap jam. I have filled the gap on the hammer nose, enlarged and polished the 'cap drain' on the breech face, changed nipples, caps, charges, mainsprings...its' like a gorgous wife that can't, well, cook. I dont shoot it much anymore

Man, you guys have screw up my day. Was just about to order a 62 police in 5.5 inch. Now I don't know. Have read other reviews on this forum and guys said they were great. Reviews are hard to figure out, 5 people will say something is just the cats meow, and the other five will say its junk.

I have a '62 with a 5.5 inch tube. Lovely little gun, but it is almost impossible to fire 5 shots without a cap jam. I have filled the gap on the hammer nose, enlarged and polished the 'cap drain' on the breech face, changed nipples, caps, charges, mainsprings...its' like a gorgous wife that can't, well, cook. I dont shoot it much anymore

Mike Beliveau believes many cap jams come from the sharp edges of the safety notch grabbing the spent cap and pulling it off. He filed those edges on a notorious Colt and it worked like a charm. That would be an easy fix if it works. I wonder, though, as you filled it in and still have the issue (so did he and filing it fixed it), whether or not it would work. Logic says it wouldn’t.

If it doesn’t fix the issue it seems you’d get a more reliable pistol by adding the cap rake/post.

I think I have found, and maybe it's just me, but 6" or 6&1/2 seems to be the ideal barrel length. Most of my hunting/backpack/hiking pistols all have 6" barrels, and pretty much all fit in the same two flap holsters that I have. I even shortened the barrel on my 1860 to 6", and like it much better. Same with a Super Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel that I've had forever, took her down to 6.5" and found that I like to carry it again, even though that's only a one inch difference. I think the 6" Police would work better for a hunting/small game/survival side arm, and I don't think the 4" will carry any better. I like to carry on my left side when hunting also, so that I'm not banging my rifle stock into the pistol all the time. (although that's not so bad with a flap holster)

When you fire and cock a cap-n-ball revolver, or the Colts at least, kind of flip the gun up and back as you cock it. It will throw the cap clear and it won't fall into the lockwork. It's not "dangerous", unless you are afraid of shooting a bird by accident. Obviously, the range-officer won't like it, so it's not a good technique when on a formal shooting range.

Man, living out here in the sticks, I've never heard that term before. I just figured you were coining a nick name for "Pocket Police." I don't have one, but I'd like to of course. Great point about he loading lever length. I do have a Colt Signature Series Pocket Navy. I love it, a bit fancy with nickel silver back strap and trigger guard, but many of
IMG_1300_zpsffglbxpb.jpg
the originals were like that as well. I love the feel of this little revolver, balances well with the 5.5" barrel and .36 caliber
IMG_1554_zpsifwvwhhh.jpg
IMG_0402%201_zpsfs7su68f.jpg
IMG_2057_zpsbcctuyy1.jpg

Wow...what a nice pistol. I think that's the one I would want, I see "grouse", "wabbit", and "coup-de-gras" written all over it. Do you shoot it? My brother had one of the "authentic Colt blackpowder series" 1860 Colts, but would not let anyone cock the hammer, and was reluctant to let anyone handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back