• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 comes through

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgesofDays

40 Cal.
Reaction score
352312.jpg
roundball said the 58 just seems to find its mark its true once you find the right load

AgesofDays said:
352312.jpg
roundball said the 58 just seems to find its mark its true once you find the right load

I agree, that .58 is an outstanding caliber for sure...congratulations on your buck with the TC Flintlock and in tough weather too...looks like you got everything working right!!
:thumbsup:

:confused:...tough weather for the buck...but good for tracking...congrats to the hunter from vermont...:thumbsup:

What load were you shooting in your .58? Powder load, patch thickness, and ball size? Oh, and what kind of lube?
Thanks,
Don

roundball almost had me talked out of this gm barrel but I stuck with it. load was 100gr.of 3f and it had too much power and kept throwing me off so I switched to 80 gr 3f and a horandy roundball 570 and .10 patch from I forget where I got them from anyway I can stand and shoot comfortably now what a diff 30 grain makes

Ihad tried to shoot my 58 with 100 grns also. It just wouldn't shoot a decent group. I also reduced my load to 80 grns , and now get decent groups (under 3in at 100yds)with plenty of power to take deer cleanly.

FLNT4EVR said:
Ihad tried to shoot my 58 with 100 grns also. It just wouldn't shoot a decent group. I also reduced my load to 80 grns , and now get decent groups (under 3in at 100yds)with plenty of power to take deer cleanly.

Don't know if you've tried Oxyoke wads with the larger charges or not...

My .58cal Flint deer load is 100grns 2F with an oxyoke wad, .018" pillow ticking, Hornady .570...has the exact same accuracy as the 80 & 90 grain loads I first tried...incredible accuracy.

Thanks for the info Agesofdays, I shoot 90 -110grs, of 2 ff and a .575 RB with 19 thousandths pillowticking and bore butter. Every rifle is different but like to hear what is successful in other .58's as well. 3fff...... that's interesting in a .58 cal. It looks like it's working real good for ya.
Don :hatsoff:

Back