• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

58 cal Kibler colonial smoothbore shot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
All shots @ 30 yards...I will try some more combinations. So far 85 gr of 3f two shot cards , 1/2in felt wad and 1 1/2 oz of #6 did okay.

Attachments

• 20230424_153532.jpg
    20230424_153532.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230424_153439.jpg
    20230424_153439.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Ballshooter, gosh darn you and your posts about your Kibler Colonial. I’m now $1200 lighter in my slush fund 😂. Made my Colonial order today. 58 cal smoothie. Kibler provided a name of a gun smith for a jug choke. Another Kibler shooter gave me a lead on another smith to check with.
Lol you will love it! I really enjoy mine.

Ballshooter, I cannot help but wonder if reducing the shot charge and getting yourself incrementally closer to the famous "square load" might not improve patterns, although for 30 yards, those aren't bad.
I will have to try that. I really need to sit down an play more with the shot. Maybe less powder as well. I have played with butcher paper shot cups but I was getting a ton of slug holes. Perhaps if I cut longer slits in the cup they will open more regularly and give me a tightened pattern. The shots above were loose shot. I was surprised that the skychief load was so open on the first two targets. The two thin shot cards on top of the powder ,then a 1/2in lubed felt wad and shot on top followed by a thin shot card on top of the shot, actually did better.

I will have to try that. I really need to sit down an play more with the shot. Maybe less powder as well. I have played with butcher paper shot cups but I was getting a ton of slug holes. Perhaps if I cut longer slits in the cup they will open more regularly and give me a tightened pattern. The shots above were loose shot. I was surprised that the skychief load was so open on the first two targets. The two thin shot cards on top of the powder ,then a 1/2in lubed felt wad and shot on top followed by a thin shot card on top of the shot, actually did better.
How many wraps ,3 wraps of newspaper and cut off flush above shot then over shot card.
less powder.

How many wraps ,3 wraps of newspaper and cut off flush above shot then over shot card.

less powder.
I'll give that a go next time. If I remember right it was two wraps but to be honest I didn't put a shot card over the cup just folded the end over to hold the shot. Now that I think about it no wonder it slugs lol.

Ballshooter, I cannot help but wonder if reducing the shot charge and getting yourself incrementally closer to the famous "square load" might not improve patterns, although for 30 yards, those aren't bad.
The heavier my powder load gets the quicker my patterns open up from 7/8 oz up to 1-1/4oz in my 62 cal trade rifle. 60 to 65 gr 3f seems to be the sweet spot for me

65 gr 3f nitro card 7/8 oz one over shot card at 27 yards

Attachments

• 20230416_144353.jpg
    20230416_144353.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230417_094241.jpg
    20230417_094241.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back